LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

CI Dumpster Diver vs. Neck Beard

I know this debate has probably been done a million times, but I'm looking at getting one of the two as a small waves board. If you could only have one of the two which would it be?

From people who have experience with one or both of these boards what do you think?

Thanks guys!

I have a js blak box and its prob more dd like, its sick. Go as small as you'd think might almost be too small. Those boards work well in nothing waves but are really fun up to chest high. After that it doesn't hold well enough. If you have a board that works well in waist high stuff I'd say neck beard or js revolution but if you want something a little more versatile to use up to like chest high easily go dd blak box or subscorcher.

Images
    I ride a 5'8 dd and I have to say its not that much of a small wave board. Yes the center point is wider but the nose is not that full. Plus it has 5" of rocker. Its great for waves with some juice rather than mushly weak surf. I do not own a ci neckbeard but have made one of my own pretty much exactly. I ride it 5'7, It is an inch wider in the nose and has 4 1/4" rocker, which is quite a bit less. This all makes getting into waves a lot easier. It also has a little more width in the tail to help get through the mushy sections. Definitely more of a groveler,small wave board. Can handle bigger as well.
    Last edited by dbslim; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

I just got a Sharp Eye Disco. It has been fun in waist high up to chest so far. I thought I got it to small at 5'10 but it has width in the middle down threw the tail. It feels real skatie at first but really love it. Go 2-4 inches samll then your typical short board.
    I wanted a Lost so bad cause I heard their shapes are really popular lately. Also the JS Black Box looks really fun. That Neck Beard has that funky tail though, not to sure about that.

The neck beard has a new 2012 tail design. If I were to get one it would probably be a 5'6. Do you guys think the Neck beard is more versatile than the DD or does it have more limitations? This will be my only board for a while, at least till christmas; so I don't wanna get a true groveler that is strictly for small waves. I wan't something that is good for small waves and other conditions too.

Thanks!

Rode the DD in waist high waves that didn't have a ton of push. It was good, but I could've gone for a little more speed. Haven't ridden the neck beard but heard it's good.

i have both & the neckbeard is by far the better groveler. i could easily get rid of the dumpster diver & be ok...dd is a great small wave board if the waves have some punch to them, or are steeper...think small hurricane swell or super low tide. takes a lot more work to get it going in weaker surf...it's less a groveler & more a short, stubby, hpsb. still very fun (which is why i've kept mine despite adding a neckbeard)
    neckbeard has a wider template overall (most noticeable in the nose & tail), flatter entry rocker, & a touch of vee out the tail...if you go w/ the neckbeard, try to get one w/ the 5 fin option...i'm really liking mine as a quad right now, but having the versatility is nice, like 2 boards in 1. the thing goes like hell in the smallest of surf...paddles really well, planes over flat spots easily...definitely more groveler than stubby hpsb. & like i said, try to get one w/ the 5 fin option.
    my dd & nb are the same size...you can ride them smaller than you think & the nb is a touch higher in volume than the dd b/c of the wider nose & tail templates. i got mine a touch bigger than i probably should have, but i like having a little bit of extra paddle-power & the extra float will suit me in the dead of winter w/ an extra 15lbs of wetsuit on.

edit: just saw your 2nd post & it sounds like the dd is where you want to be...not sure of your location, but the dd is a great single board quiver for someone who's not interested in riding waves more than a foot or 2 overhead. look into the robert's white diamond as well...

Reply to njsurfer42: How does the neckbeard handle bigger surf compared to the DD? I emailed Al at CI and he recommened the 5'6 Beard. I live in North Carolina where we mostly get small waves like 1-3 feet, but occasionally we get headhigh+ waves. Would that neck beard not be a good choice if it were to be my only board for a while? Which one rides better? It sounds like the DD will not perform so well in 1 to 2 foot mush; sounds like it needs at least waist high and some push. I'll check out the white diamond too!

Thanks for the help!

dd will handle bigger surf better than the nb, so as i said in my other post, the dd is where you want to be if it's going to be your only board. prior to getting my nb, my dd was the board i rode 90-95% of the time here in nj.
    i can't say which one "rides better" as they are designed to do different things...it's like comparing a jeep wrangler to a porche 911.
    nb is best as part of a 2 board board quiver...nb for knee high-chest/head high, other board for chest high +.

So with waves around 1-3 feet with the occasional chest high + days in NC the DD will be good for me? Overall I would like a board that can ride in the small mush days, and also on the days with bigger swells. If you could only have one, which one would you take based on the conditions I said earlier?

Sorry about asking the same questions over and over; I just wanna make a good choice.

Thanks!