LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Popouts?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I see so many people that are against popouts from overseas, always saying to buy local or American made boards. I agree completely with that, but these same people are buying leashes, trac pads and other surf products that are made in china. If you are so concerned with where the board is made then you should also make it a point to buy your other surf accessories from companies who manufacture in the US. Just seems kind of hypocritical to me.

As for my boards, I have had plenty of polys and one Firewire. The Firewire is much more durable and feels no different from my polys. I don't think I would ever buy one new for that price, but for a used board it has definitely held up well. I would also like to check out Coil sometime, I have heard lots of great things.
    i love my sweet potato...but i think i will give in a get a wrv made ( as much as i despise seeing people come out from the woodwork riding yellowed out 7 foot wrv fun boards). I think I may get the nugget or flying nugget. anyone ride any of these? if so, what's the max wave height? seen a few reviews saying overhead but the website reviews say knee to chest. I am looking for something waist to overhead but as a performance hybrid, not hpsb.

I ride shortboards and a fish but found it was time to buy something with some size to get through the summer in NJ. I picked up an 8'6" Australia a few years ago and have no complaints. It's bulletproof. It blew off my roof last year as I was loading it on my rack (literally about 30' in the air), fell like a daisy cutter bomb, and smashed down to the ground. It was practically unscathed, just 2 small star cracks in the glass on the rail. Yes, it was made in China and I have a lot of other things in my life from China too (like this laptop I'm typing on right now)..... as do many of you. That argument is overplayed, especially for those that are driving a foreign car to the beach to surf. Popouts have a time and a place..... they're inexpensive and can survive practically anything. Would I buy one as my "go to" board? Never. But it serves its purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean T View Post
    I ride shortboards and a fish but found it was time to buy something with some size to get through the summer in NJ. I picked up an 8'6" Australia a few years ago and have no complaints. It's bulletproof. It blew off my roof last year as I was loading it on my rack (literally about 30' in the air), fell like a daisy cutter bomb, and smashed down to the ground. It was practically unscathed, just 2 small star cracks in the glass on the rail. Yes, it was made in China and I have a lot of other things in my life from China too (like this laptop I'm typing on right now)..... as do many of you. That argument is overplayed, especially for those that are driving a foreign car to the beach to surf. Popouts have a time and a place..... they're inexpensive and can survive practically anything. Would I buy one as my "go to" board? Never. But it serves its purpose.
    Again, its not durable because its a popout.... It's durable because of the construction which could be reproduced/surpassed by a "local shaper" (assuming its a good one).

I'm not so sure the made in america thing is important to the majority of industries, as long as the factory it comes from pays its workers a living wage, doesn't pollute 5 times worse than other factories, etc...

The reason I think it's important in the surfboard industry is because the little guys are the ones innovating new product, coming up with more sustainable ways to make surfboards, making the best/customized boards, and teaching the next guy. If it's a big company overseas who is filling all those requirements then I don't see anything wrong with buying their board... But it seems like the majority of them are just out for money... doing various things that I don't think are ideal...
    Last edited by Kyle Collins; Aug 16, 2012 at 01:21 PM.