LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

What would you do???

I was out surfing at my local break yesterday evening and the waves were waist to stomach at best and windy. So pretty much the waves were few and far between and not that great. My rant goes like this...

There are about 10 people out with two peaks at most with 6 longboarders and 4 shortboards (I was a shortboarder) , so the longboarders "owned" the spot according to them. Now i know a lot about surf etiquette, but what amazes me is when Johnny Longboarder on his soft top catches a wave and gets right back into the lineup and goes for the next one, when we have been waiting.

At first I was calm about it because i cant blame him for using a longboard because he had the advantage over the guys with the shortboards, but after a while it really got annoying. Obviously the guys on the longboards are going to be further out and why would they give up sets coming right at them, thats not my argument, my argument is how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

What ultimately ended up happening was that we sarcastically thanked him for giving us the scraps and took whatever we could get. Unfortunately, with summer there is no surf etiquette and thats something that you will have to deal with. I will just have to look forward to fall and winter surf when Johnny longboard and his soft top friends stay the hell home.

Images
    was he a summer pro???

Images
    I feel your pain man.. I posted something kinda similar to this not to long ago. This happened to me and when I actually tried to grab a wave I ended up with my board cracked at the nose. Then was told to surf on the "beginner side"..

Quote Originally Posted by gansett09 View Post
    I was out surfing at my local break yesterday evening and the waves were waist to stomach at best and windy. So pretty much the waves were few and far between and not that great. My rant goes like this...

There are about 10 people out with two peaks at most with 6 longboarders and 4 shortboards (I was a shortboarder) , so the longboarders "owned" the spot according to them. Now i know a lot about surf etiquette, but what amazes me is when Johnny Longboarder on his soft top catches a wave and gets right back into the lineup and goes for the next one, when we have been waiting.

At first I was calm about it because i cant blame him for using a longboard because he had the advantage over the guys with the shortboards, but after a while it really got annoying. Obviously the guys on the longboards are going to be further out and why would they give up sets coming right at them, thats not my argument, my argument is how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

What ultimately ended up happening was that we sarcastically thanked him for giving us the scraps and took whatever we could get. Unfortunately, with summer there is no surf etiquette and thats something that you will have to deal with. I will just have to look forward to fall and winter surf when Johnny longboard and his soft top friends stay the hell home.
    drop in on that haole

does he paddle in front of you back out or goes around?

Wavehog... no excuse. Using your equipment to take advantage is a d!ck move. You could sit outside with him, get into position, and start paddling for "your" wave early, and it's still your wave, even if you have to paddle all the way in to where you were sitting before. Wave comes... you give him a, "goin' right" heads up, and start paddling. You'll be doing a lot of extra paddling, but that's what you could do.

Or... (my favorite)... as he's paddling around you for the 6th time, tell him, "dude... you paddle around me one more time and you won't get another wave to yourself for the rest of the day." He'll either be like, "sorry dude.... my bad" and play nice. Or... be prepared to keep your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyz View Post
    I feel your pain man.. I posted something kinda similar to this not to long ago. This happened to me and when I actually tried to grab a wave I ended up with my board cracked at the nose. Then was told to surf on the "beginner side"..
    Dropping in is more dangerous to you then him... That's why it was your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by gansett09 View Post
    Unfortunately, with summer there is no surf etiquette and thats something that you will have to deal with. I will just have to look forward to fall and winter surf when Johnny longboard and his soft top friends stay the hell home.
    You said it right here. And AKAPump is right - did he paddle thru or around? I'm also with LBCrew, get to your feet before him. Nuff said.

how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

cause he's a **** thats why

Next time, paddle on the other side of him. If he goes for it, he will be cutting you off. In a civilized manner, address the situation: "Hey 'Fiskers,' stop cutting me off."