LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

there was a pic posted here..surfboard with water "channel" near the fins?

Does anyone have that picture? I am thinking about having a similar board made.

Bumping this thread up.

I don't know what picture you're talking about, but it sounds like you're talking about a "Bonzer" tail.

yea, what is the advantage to this tail? I know ease of turn.

I don't know too much about "Bonzer" tails, but I do know they rip in glassy conditions. I talked to my local shaper about ordering a custom "Bonzer" and he said that it would not perform well in choppy conditions. He actually showed me one that he was shaping, at the time - it was an 8'6" "Bonzer" with a square nose. Regardless, I was pretty turned off about the choppy performance issue; especially, being on the East Coast. I am sure someone else can shine some light on this issue; hopefully, from personal experience.

Seems like a novelty board then. Even so, th design looks very neat, I would love to try one out. Don't think I would get much use out of the board though.

http://bonzer5.com/boards/bonzer-mechanics/

Not all channel bottoms are Bonzers. Channels are probobly best for down the line point style waves. They were more popular 10-20 years ago- not many shapers have much experience with them and glassers hate them. Hammish Graham is one of the most respected channel bottom shapers in the world.

http://superstixsurfboards.com/surfb...hannel-bottom/

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    I don't know too much about "Bonzer" tails, but I do know they rip in glassy conditions. I talked to my local shaper about ordering a custom "Bonzer" and he said that it would not perform well in choppy conditions. He actually showed me one that he was shaping, at the time - it was an 8'6" "Bonzer" with a square nose. Regardless, I was pretty turned off about the choppy performance issue; especially, being on the East Coast. I am sure someone else can shine some light on this issue; hopefully, from personal experience.
    i hate to say it, but it sounds like your shaper isn't all that well versed in what a bonzer is & how it works. i've been riding them since 2006 & rode them pretty much exclusively for 4 years, from '06 till mid-'10. choppy, glassy, steep, mushy...they worked will in everything, provided (like all other boards) that the overall plan shape of the board was adequate for the conditions (ie: no hpsbs in waist high mush). traveled w/ them to costa rica, panama, & the maldives...they're great boards & i still have a couple in my quiver. i just like to try different things & right now i'm on a thruster & quad kick. have been since late 2010.

a few of the bonzers i've had over the years:

still have this one...
    this one's currently for sale in the classifieds...

as you can see, a fairly wide variety of shapes & intended conditions here.

Images

these boards seem very interesting.
    How large is the rear fin usually? how is the board rail to rail or does it sit better in the pocket of a wave?