LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guido Fish.

Hybrid View

Images

Guido Fish.

Yesterday I took my girlfriend Fluke fishing on the ocean. I read somewhere on this forum that there’s fish in the ocean so I checked it out. On the way to our first drift we marked lots of fish at different depths on the radar. There were small schools of bunker on the surface with dolphins beating up on them. This got my girls attention and she wanted me to snag a Bunker. I knew I wasn’t going to catch a 35 lb Striped Bass in August. Live adult bunker in August is likely to get you a huge ray or a shark. Both can be a pain in the butt to release. So I set out our 2 fluke jigs off the stern and snagged a live Bunker right away while drifting. I reset the hook on the bunker and live lined it off the bow. We caught 1 fluke, 1 Sea Robin, and then, BANG! My rod with the Bunker is bent in half and line is whizzing off the reel. We had been fishing for 15 minutes at this point. I fought it around the boat for about 20 minutes until the fish tired and allowed me to bring it to the surface. I had 50lb braid with 30lb mono leader (not a shark set up). I left the drag a little loose and used my thumb accordingly to give line and tire the fish. The fish was about 4 ˝ ft long and released healthy. I didn’t bring Mr. Fishy in the boat because he was a Bull shark.

Can someone tell me how to upload/insert a quick time/ I phone vid?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yesterday I took my girlfriend Fluke fishing on the ocean. I read somewhere on this forum that there’s fish in the ocean so I checked it out. On the way to our first drift we marked lots of fish at different depths on the radar. There were small schools of bunker on the surface with dolphins beating up on them. This got my girls attention and she wanted me to snag a Bunker. I knew I wasn’t going to catch a 35 lb Striped Bass in August. Live adult bunker in August is likely to get you a huge ray or a shark. Both can be a pain in the butt to release. So I set out our 2 fluke jigs off the stern and snagged a live Bunker right away while drifting. I reset the hook on the bunker and live lined it off the bow. We caught 1 fluke, 1 Sea Robin, and then, BANG! My rod with the Bunker is bent in half and line is whizzing off the reel. We had been fishing for 15 minutes at this point. I fought it around the boat for about 20 minutes until the fish tired and allowed me to bring it to the surface. I had 50lb braid with 30lb mono leader (not a shark set up). I left the drag a little loose and used my thumb accordingly to give line and tire the fish. The fish was about 4 ˝ ft long and released healthy. I didn’t bring Mr. Fishy in the boat because he was a Bull shark.

Can someone tell me how to upload/insert a quick time/ I phone vid?
    Bad ass man, upload that vid!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Bad ass man, upload that vid!
    Thats my Problem here. It seems I need to make a youtube account? I don't facebook (hate me later). The vid was the reason for the post. Bummer the forum can't support quick time vids from an Iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thats my Problem here. It seems I need to make a youtube account? I don't facebook (hate me later). The vid was the reason for the post. Bummer the forum can't support quick time vids from an Iphone.
    Someone here will hook you up with a link where you can upload it, I unfortunately am not the tech savy type and don't have much info to offer or i'd help ya out. I know it's possible though. I dont hate ya for not "Facebooking", I applaud you my friend, social media will be the downfall of human beings, it's already begun...

Images
    you might be able to email the file to your email adress from your phone, download the file to your computer from your email, set up a youtube account, upload it to youtube, past the code on swellinfo

Doug, you mean you were Flounder fishing and caught the shark on a Pogie. I also didn't realize you all had flying fish that close in to shore up there, and big enough schools to spot on a radar at that! :P

You should have videoed the Sea Robin if it was pissed off enough. I've had many a pissed of Sea Robin try to chase me around the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Doug, you mean you were Flounder fishing and caught the shark on a Pogie. I also didn't realize you all had flying fish that close in to shore up there, and big enough schools to spot on a radar at that! :P

You should have videoed the Sea Robin if it was pissed off enough. I've had many a pissed of Sea Robin try to chase me around the deck.
    whats a pogie? and what the hell kind of sea robins do you have down there that they chase around the boat?
    all ive seen them do is bark.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post

Summer Fluke May 5-Sept 28, Winter Flounder Mar 23-May 21. Fluke are much larger on average. Bunker are also known as Moss Bunker or Menhaden. When I snagged the bunker (with a snag rig) our Fluke jigs were already happily bouncing along the bottom. I sent the live Bunker swimming with a big treble hook in its back on purpose, knowing something large would eat it. Doppler 5000 for sure haha, you new I was talking about the fish finder display.

I guess I need to make a youtube account for the vid.

Just razzing you man. Menhaden are called "Pogies" down here. The fluke/flounder and bunker/pogie thing is kind of a running joke between the group of folks I fish with.
    We use the same snagging method down here in the Spring fishing for Cobia and then Tarpon through the Summer.
    PeaJay: Maybe the Sea Robbins are more aggressive down here due to warmer water, but really I don't know. And "Pogy" is singular for "Pogies"

[PeaJay: Maybe the Sea Robbins are more aggressive down here due to warmer water, but really I don't know. And "Pogy" is singular for "Pogies"[/QUOTE]

man im just joking. i think its interesting how fishing terms change regionally. like how you call them pogies and we call em bunker.

you want have some fun? snag a bunker but don't bring it in to re hook it. just set the drag and let it try to run with the school and see what hits it. i've casted into a school of bunker catching nothing but blues and then snagged a bunker with the lure let it go for a bit and came up with a false albacore or a bass a number of times. its like the bigger "better" fish just lurk on the fringes while the blues crash into the middle like a mosh pit.
    good times