LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Longboard suggestions?

Any longboard suggestions for a beginner in Ft. Lauderdale? I'm 5'2\", 115 lbs, and moderately coordinated. I paddleboard, but would really like to get into surfing. What should I look for in a board (length, volume, fin set-up)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Images
    I'd put you on something like a 7'6'' tri-fin. Not less then 7' or more then 8'. Less then 7' isn't a long board and more then 8' is way big for you. Good luck

Thanks, Doug!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I'd put you on something like a 7'6'' tri-fin. Not less then 7' or more then 8'. Less then 7' isn't a long board and more then 8' is way big for you. Good luck
    Just for accuracy.......Longboards start at 9'. Anything under with a round nose is an egg,funshape or hybrid.
    Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    Just for accuracy.......Longboards start at 9'. Anything under with a round nose is an egg,funshape or hybrid.
    Just sayin'.
    I think he meant for her size it's a long board, most people aren't 5'2"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I think he meant for her size it's a long board, most people aren't 5'2"
    Has nothing to do with her size..........He said and I quote "Less than 7' is not a longboard". Less than 9' is not a longboard no matter what size the person on the board is. At 5'2 a 7'6 is going to be a long board to her but not a Longboard for her .......savvy.......If she paddleboards she can ride a 9' LB
    Last edited by wave1rider65; Aug 21, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Has nothing to do with her size..........He said and I quote "Less than 7' is not a longboard". Less than 9' is not a longboard no matter what size the person on the board is. At 5'2 a 7'6 is going to be a long board to her but not a Longboard for her .......savvy.......If she paddleboards she can ride a 9' LB
    You are correct about 9' being regulation however only Doug can verify what he really meant by that. I agree that she can probably handle a 9' LB but is it necessary for her at that size? Probably not...

Images
    Just sayin'.
    I consider fun shapes and eggs to be types of longboards or longboard ďhybridsĒ.
    Amber isnít looking for a regulation longboard to enter the next contest with because she is a beginner. Being a beginner, sheís basically looking for something good to learn on thatís not a shortboard. Right?
    Generally if itís not a shortboard itís a longboard. Can I come up with a more accurate breakdown of what every board between 5 and 10 feet is called? Of course I can but, I didnít sense the need to accurately categorize every type of surfboard in my reply. Thatís just my opinion, and not meant to ruffle any feathers.

The McTavish 8 Ball is a reasonable and reasonably priced all arounder in the 8 foot range. I also like the NSPs in the 7 - 8 foot range for basic boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    The McTavish 8 Ball is a reasonable and reasonably priced all arounder in the 8 foot range. I also like the NSPs in the 7 - 8 foot range for basic boards.
    I own the McTavish 8 Ball 8' 1" and it's a GREAT board, you'll love it