LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Puerto Rico Trip/Boards

Sup guys,
    I know one of these threads pop up like once every two weeks, but thought I'd try and get some input. I'm trying to go on my first ever REAL surf trip to PR this winter. I would like to go like a week or two before christmas and apparently thats when its most consistent. Reading through old threads it sounds like Casa Verde is a good place to stay, and flying into San Juan and renting a car is the best bet?

Main question is, should I bring a board with me? I have a 5'8 quad fish, 5'11 thruster, and a 6'4 fat thick merrick. I know the local shops there will have a really good idea of what I should be riding, but if you guys have any input or suggestions that'd be awesome.

Also from reading other threads it sounds like JetBlue is the answer and has the cheapest flights and board transportation rates.

Thanks in advance.

Not just for PR, but for travel in general, always bring your own boards! During peak season in PR (when you are traveling) the shops may not have a board that you like. You don't want to travel and not find a board. Bringing boards on the airlines is well worth the price.

Jetblue or American are the best for boards. Just pack them good (foam on rails, bubble foam) and you will be fine. I fly American and sometimes they don't even charge me at all. American charges per surfboard bag (regardless of number of surfboards), Jetblue charges per board (regardless of the bag). Jetblue costs more to bring the boards, so just remember to factor that into the ticket.

Bring the quad and thruster, with a few fins. You might even be fine with just the thruster. But I like to have multiple boards with me with tons of fins.

Images
    Thats a good point about the number of boards per bag, didn't really factor that into the equation. Thanks!

I would suggest flying into BQN over San Jaun any day........Eff that drive across the island.

I'm going to PR for the third time as well this January - the shops (especially if you're staying for 6-7 days) will be just as expensive as bringing your own board (if not more) and will limit you on your ability to travel around. Definitely bring your own board - I will be bringing a 5'10 CI Flyer (really all you need is a good thruster SB and you're set). Flying into Aguadilla is the best; the whole west / northwest coast is filled with some awesome spots, and that airport is 20 - 30 mins away rather than the 2 and a half hour drive San Juan is.

I'm flying Jetblue straight into to Aguadilla (BQN) in less than two months, and have a very short drive to Puntas / Rincon area, saves 3hrs (maybe more in Dec. being peak season) of driving. Do yourself a favor and skip San Juan, get a car, and stay in a private villa (which i found cheaper than any hotel) or check out Rincon Beach Resort or Lazy Parrot. If you want to stay for two weeks going with a private villa is probably the best bet IMO

Images
    do you still rent a car if your flying in through aguadilla?

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    do you still rent a car if your flying in through aguadilla?
    We are, because it's cheap and it will allow us to explore the island

Def get a car ( rental at the airport ).......and hit all the spots......west and North

Yea, rent a car and make sure to get the insurance on it. WHen I was in Barbados, I completely ****ed up my little Jeep and they didn't say anything or charge me additionally.