LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's it like to paddle out to Pipe??

Not planning on doing it...writing a book and would LOVE some help:

When paddling out to Pipeline through the channel do you ever need to duck dive, or is it an easy go? I just need to know what it's like so I can describe my character doing it.

Also if anyone who lives and surfs on the North Shore is interested in helping me with my book please email me: look_bunnies@hotmail.com. I really want to make sure anything I put about surfing there is relevant. I have surfed and do know a lot about the subject, but have never gone out in big waves or the north shore. I would be ever grateful. C

Images
    On most days, paddling out at Pipe is quite easy. You can hop in around back door, and there is a current that takes you right into the channel, which is to the east of the peak. On the biggest, most chaotic days, waves can break in the channel, but that is not the norm and thats usually when its not worth a paddle. From the channel, you can then make your way over to the peak at whatever pace you want. The paddle out is the least hectic part about surfing at Pipe...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    On most days, paddling out at Pipe is quite easy. You can hop in around back door, and there is a current that takes you right into the channel, which is to the east of the peak. On the biggest, most chaotic days, waves can break in the channel, but that is not the norm and thats usually when its not worth a paddle. From the channel, you can then make your way over to the peak at whatever pace you want. The paddle out is the least hectic part about surfing at Pipe...
    yeah this^^

I shot the photos below from the beach there a few years ago on a day you could have paddled out just like in 5 minutes with your hair dry...scary how easy it looked, and how hectic the waves looked.

Last edited by mitchell; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Images
    i always wondered this myself..... or other monsterous breaks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    yeah this^^

I shot the photos below from the beach there a few years ago on a day you could have paddled out just like in 5 minutes with your hair dry...scary how easy it looked, and how hectic the waves looked.

easy shmeezy

Quote Originally Posted by shayzzee View Post

When paddling out to Pipeline through the channel do you ever need to duck dive, or is it an easy go? I just need to know what it's like so I can describe my character doing it.

Also if anyone who lives and surfs on the North Shore is interested in helping me with my book please email me: look_bunnies@hotmail.com. I really want to make sure anything I put about surfing there is relevant. I have surfed and do know a lot about the subject, but have never gone out in big waves or the north shore. I would be ever grateful. C
    You're writing a book about it but haven't done it? Sounds like an informative book.

Dude, you get the best barrels ever, dude. Just like, you pull in, and you just get spit right out of ‘em. Just drop in and just smack the lip, wapahhhh! Drop down: say bahhhh And then after that, you just drop in and just ride the barrel and get pitted; so pitted.

Feel free to quote me in your book.

Images
    Do some background reading on the difference between reef breaks, point breaks, and beach breaks. They each have their own unique characteristics, and you would need to adapt to them accordingly. Posting here doesn't exactly sound like professional writing research.

Quote Originally Posted by shayzzee View Post

are you doing a book about pipeline,or the north shore in general?theres plenty great breaks along the 7 mile miracle.sunset,pipe,vland,off the wall,waimai,haliewa,n many more.i was just reading about the death of todd cheese chesser who died paddling out at phantoms i think,on a rising swell.there a rouge setsthat come in and clean everyone on the inside up.malik joyeux died atpipe,but was a freak accident.another is donnie soloman,who died by getting caught in a rouge lip at waimai while slater and ross williams came in.the north shore isnt a playground and u can never underestimate it.the locals are extremely friendly aslong as u treat them with respect.dont believe all the hype about kala alexander too,he's another guy everyone worries about.treat everyonewith respect and youll learn a lot..........or just watch a bunch of youtube videos about pipe

stop trolling and let the dude write a god damn book!

THE RENT IS TOO GOD DAMN HIGH