LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unexplored California?

Never been out west, heard what it's like from people who visit but never from someone who was a local for awhile. Anybody know if there's any areas that aren't crazy crowded? That's my major turnoff as to visiting and enjoying myself there (being a new englander). Thanks.

I grew up out in Santa Barbara, everything is gravy with the exception of many LA spots. If you want some "me" time out west, north of San Francisco is probably your best bet.

born and raised SD and traveled the California and Baja coasts extensively. You can still find solitude in between Mex and Oregon....just stay away from the "name" spots. There's a lot of good beachbreaks and decent reefs that aren't all that crowded. Meatloaf's right though....the further north you go, the less crowded it gets. "Whitey" might have something to do with that. The water's no colder than a mild DelMarVa winter, doesn't usually get below 45 degrees.

get a boat and go to Hollister Ranch. hike down some scary cliffs in Del Mar or at Torrey Pines.

what about the average attitude...does it get as aggro as north jers haha

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    what i learned over the years,99% of surfers everywhere are friendly and have a great vibe. . . i wouldntgo on a surf trip,if i thought locals wouldnt let me surf.you dont excel at surfing,if u only surf your area.treat others as u want to be treated,thats how i was raised.im a quiet guy and most of the time i dont talk in the lineup.dont be an a-hole n drop in on others,or sit on the inside waitin for someone to mow u over,and youll be fine!
    Not from this thread, but I couldn't put it better.

Quote Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
    what about the average attitude...does it get as aggro as north jers haha
    dont even paddle out at the jetties or piers in socal. dudes r dooshed out

hmm 2 consecutive posts, 2 different answers...is santa barbara north enough at least?

Quote Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
    hmm 2 consecutive posts, 2 different answers...is santa barbara north enough at least?
    Sure, whatever the Focker-Wolffe you mean by "North enough", it sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks is North enough for me, I prefer warm water. English isn't your native tongue, is it? If so, your questions convey a sense of cognitive dissonance as earlier you queried “Anybody know if there's any areas that aren't crazy crowded? That's my major turnoff” (mine’s poor personal hygiene and a lack of personal grooming, but hey whatever). Just an aside piece of advice, you might want to consider a brief trip to a Magnetic Resonance Imaging lab and have that looked at. You might not believe this either and personally I don’t give it too much credence as it’s from interwebbiz stertistiks, California is the 2nd most populous state in U.S.A. and has the largest population of surfers of anywhere in the world. In fact, of the estimated 23 million surfers in the world, almost 2 million of them are rumored to reside in CA. It means that every decent break you go to, if there’s even a ripple of a wave, you’re almost guaranteed that there will be other people out riding them as well. If you are looking for empty beaches, Santa Barbara might not be the spot. I have heard rumors (not to be believed) that people like to surf there. I think that there’s like, this like, entire like thing, like a school or something up there. UC sumthin’ or other, people go there for like something or something. It ain’t to get a degree in Business Admin either. Mostly horticulture and marine biology, mostly horticulture, oh and let’s not forget that most noble curriculum, the study of felis americanus pueallas. All sarcasm aside, most people at most breaks are pretty cool (not me), mostly ‘cause they’re all stoned out of their gourds (again not me, I swear, cough). It’s why no one can drive out here. If you run into trouble, do what I do and just start throwing nugs and fully packed water pipes at the natives. Worked for Captain Cook and Magellan, right? If you are looking for breaks where you’re the only one out for a few hundred yards and the loin cloth garbed natives treat you like you’re the Messiach, well Cali might not be the surf destination for you. However, it does have sunny beaches (except in May, June and July) and great surf (10 days out of the year, the rest is just decent, but that’s better than 9 out of 10 other places). It’s all geared to welcome tourists with open arms. Have you thought about going South to Baja or continuing even farther North to say, Oregon? Surfing in a crowd is part of surfing out here, you can either hack or you can’t. Sometimes cats get a little frisky, well it ain’t all catnip and naps in the sunny window is it. Like my little sister says, “Surfing ain’t for pu$$ies.” Woof

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Sure, whatever the Focker-Wolffe you mean by "North enough", it sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks is North enough for me, I prefer warm water. English isn't your native tongue, is it? If so, your questions convey a sense of cognitive dissonance as earlier you queried “Anybody know if there's any areas that aren't crazy crowded? That's my major turnoff” (mine’s poor personal hygiene and a lack of personal grooming, but hey whatever). Just an aside piece of advice, you might want to consider a brief trip to a Magnetic Resonance Imaging lab and have that looked at. You might not believe this either and personally I don’t give it too much credence as it’s from interwebbiz stertistiks, California is the 2nd most populous state in U.S.A. and has the largest population of surfers of anywhere in the world. In fact, of the estimated 23 million surfers in the world, almost 2 million of them are rumored to reside in CA. It means that every decent break you go to, if there’s even a ripple of a wave, you’re almost guaranteed that there will be other people out riding them as well. If you are looking for empty beaches, Santa Barbara might not be the spot. I have heard rumors (not to be believed) that people like to surf there. I think that there’s like, this like, entire like thing, like a school or something up there. UC sumthin’ or other, people go there for like something or something. It ain’t to get a degree in Business Admin either. Mostly horticulture and marine biology, mostly horticulture, oh and let’s not forget that most noble curriculum, the study of felis americanus pueallas. All sarcasm aside, most people at most breaks are pretty cool (not me), mostly ‘cause they’re all stoned out of their gourds (again not me, I swear, cough). It’s why no one can drive out here. If you run into trouble, do what I do and just start throwing nugs and fully packed water pipes at the natives. Worked for Captain Cook and Magellan, right? If you are looking for breaks where you’re the only one out for a few hundred yards and the loin cloth garbed natives treat you like you’re the Messiach, well Cali might not be the surf destination for you. However, it does have sunny beaches (except in May, June and July) and great surf (10 days out of the year, the rest is just decent, but that’s better than 9 out of 10 other places). It’s all geared to welcome tourists with open arms. Have you thought about going South to Baja or continuing even farther North to say, Oregon? Surfing in a crowd is part of surfing out here, you can either hack or you can’t. Sometimes cats get a little frisky, well it ain’t all catnip and naps in the sunny window is it. Like my little sister says, “Surfing ain’t for pu$$ies.” Woof
    dude wat