LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Go to NorCal and explore. Between November and February the waves are quality at least 6 days out of 10. SoCal is chock full of self-involved kooks who think the world revolves around them. Honestly, a lot of the locals are ****s who have no clue what it's like to be a wave-starved east coaster. I am not saying "don't go", but fair warning. Of course there are lots of cool people as well, but from my experience the split is 50/50 or worse at most breaks from LA and south. I lived up North for a year (won't be naming any spots on this thread) and surfed alone all the time. It just takes a little effort and some nerves to not get spooked by the masses of sea life all around you. Honestly, there were days when I sat in the lineup hoping somebody would paddle out just to kill the loneliness.

I lived in north County SD for a while and you can score a few spots with just a few homies out. I lived just off the beach in Leucadia close to Carlsbad.. Stone Steps and Grandview(In Leucadia at the end of a local neighborhood) are good sandbars and spread out. I surfed the southside of Cardiff reef often, relatively Donkey free. Delmar and Torrey Pines as mentioned earlier can have very few people in the lineup. Cali surfers are lazy and frequent the bigger named spots. Search and Ye shall find...

Quote Originally Posted by banxsurfer View Post
    I lived in north County SD for a while and you can score a few spots with just a few homies out. I lived just off the beach in Leucadia close to Carlsbad.. Stone Steps and Grandview(In Leucadia at the end of a local neighborhood) are good sandbars and spread out. I surfed the southside of Cardiff reef often, relatively Donkey free. Delmar and Torrey Pines as mentioned earlier can have very few people in the lineup. Cali surfers are lazy and frequent the bigger named spots. Search and Ye shall find...
    Wrong.
    A lazy SoCal surfer

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
    I grew up out in Santa Barbara, everything is gravy with the exception of many LA spots. If you want some "me" time out west, north of San Francisco is probably your best bet.
    It would be you, the ocean, and a few dozen hungry great whites. I'd take my chances with the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    Honestly, there were days when I sat in the lineup hoping somebody would paddle out just to kill the loneliness.
    it's not really "a lineup" then if it's just you.

OP should go to Jalama Beach Park to camp and surf. Of the places I've been out in CA it was the most like what it sounds like you want to experience.
    Last edited by Bronze Whaler; Aug 28, 2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
    Never been out west, heard what it's like from people who visit but never from someone who was a local for awhile. Anybody know if there's any areas that aren't crazy crowded? That's my major turnoff as to visiting and enjoying myself there (being a new englander). Thanks.
    if your looking for some gnarly uncrowded surf,ur best bet would be anywhere north of san fran.its cold,its big,its sharky,and uncrowded.u never hear much about northern cali surfers but they are there!!i grew up in orange county,and every spot is crowded and every other guy is on the ct....you just have to be patient,wait your turn,and dont turn back.cali is why better than the eastcoast,in terms of waves and consistency.u can surf 40 ft mavs,to perfect 8ft blacks,to sandy beach,hermosa,and everywhere inbetween.i personally like the eastcoast more because i dont see the crowds u see back home.its great being able to surf with 10 guys in the water!!!!i still go back to cali a few times a year...so if ur on a search,head to montery cty

Try either the reefs near a state camp ground called Montana de oro. There is a series of really good reef breaks walking distance from good camping. Morro strand has a ton of beach break also, check the canyon can't give any more info. Also in between Santa Cruz and Ocean beach SF there is soooooo much untouched stuff that picks up any swell. You shouldn't have any hasles if you just smile and share, its not delmarva it gets real good and the boys keep you in check if you get stupid.

Right! Maybe a lil lazy and spoiled! My friends that live there rarely paddle out unless it's chest-high plus...so if you are a true East Coaster(Transplant) Cali straight spoils you! Obviously gaffer you haven't surfed on the East Coast much. We get stoked on surf you guys consider scraps! But I love surfing all of our Donkey Free line-ups here on the Banx...nuff said

zaGaffer.... wow interesting post......think you been spending a bit too much time with southjettybill

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    it's not really "a lineup" then if it's just you.
    I don't think it's called the lineup because a bunch of surfers all get in a line. It's because that's were you 'line up' your landmarks to get you in the right take off spot.