LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish help

Fish help

Just bought a retro fish quad. Have surfed lots of longboard in NJ and RI, and 8' and 7'6" in Costa Rica . . . just looking for advice on where to position and any tips for catching and getting up on this fish for the first time.

TIA

Ari

Images
    What are the dimensions? Paddle harder than you’re used to, make sure the board is nice and level while paddling, and your feet should go to their natural place when you pop up. My front foot always ends up between my hands, give or take. The most important thing is repetition. Any new board takes getting used to even if the shape is the same, and in your case the board is very different from what you've previously ridden.

Images
    When paddling any board I always feel like the "sweet spot" is where you're positioned so that the nose sits about 2-3" out of the water as you paddle. Maybe that's just me though, it helps when I swap back and forth between different boards.

It's 7' x 22 5/8 x 2 3/4. I am 6'1" and 162.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    What are the dimensions? Paddle harder than you’re used to, make sure the board is nice and level while paddling, and your feet should go to their natural place when you pop up. My front foot always ends up between my hands, give or take. The most important thing is repetition. Any new board takes getting used to even if the shape is the same, and in your case the board is very different from what you've previously ridden.
    You're Screen Name picture really drives home the point that you are to be taken seriously. lol.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    It's 7' x 22 5/8 x 2 3/4. I am 6'1" and 162.
    That should work fine for you. Like Rob said, you'll want the nose just a little over the surface. It's not hard to find the sweet spot by adjusting yourself forward or backward a couple inches while paddling. You can feel the point where the board paddles easiest and thatís where to position yourself. Good luck, have fun, repeat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    You're Screen Name picture really drives home the point that you are to be taken seriously. lol.
    220px-George-W-Bush.jpg How about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    220px-George-W-Bush.jpg How about this one?
    No, can't take that one seriously. Never did.

Thanks for the replies, tomorrow looks like a good day to try it out in the local beach break. Dawn Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Just bought a retro fish quad. Have surfed lots of longboard in NJ and RI, and 8' and 7'6" in Costa Rica . . . just looking for advice on where to position and any tips for catching and getting up on this fish for the first time.

TIA

Ari
    Every time I go to a fish (or any shortboard) after the LB, it's always reinforced that when you pop-up on a log the board is moving and you are standing on it... with shortboards, the board is still moving but I am placing the board under my feet rather than just hopping up.

Quote Originally Posted by biff22 View Post
    Every time I go to a fish (or any shortboard) after the LB, it's always reinforced that when you pop-up on a log the board is moving and you are standing on it... with shortboards, the board is still moving but I am placing the board under my feet rather than just hopping up.
    Good point, I've watched the shortboarders, it looks almost like they are pushing the board back towards their feet as they pop. I'll keep in mind. Thanks.