LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Arrow CJ Nelson 10'0" or August What I Ride 9'6"?

    Hello all from a Greybeard in rainy Fort Lauderdale, Florida - as soon to be hurrican Isaac rolls on by. I really enjoy this website and the many very talented and experienced surfers here, and I have learned a lot. I'd really appreciate your opinions and advice, but I'm under some time pressure.

    There are two nice used epoxy boards for sale now: the Arrow CJ 10'0" or the August What I Ride 9'6". The Arrow is 10' x 20" x 24 x 17 x 2-7/8 in, notable front concave, relatively square tail, large single fin, 50/50 rails, 77 liter. The WIR is 9'6" x 18-1/4" x 23-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 3-1/4, teardrop front concave, relatively square tail, 2+1 fins, 60/40, 81 liters.

    Now for me and our waters:

    South Florida is entirely beach breaks, and the Bahamas block most ocean swells, so it's mostly small wind driven chop and smaller (if not small waves), lots of mush. As for me, I'm 5'8", 185 lbs, a very fit 65 years old (bike, kayak, bodyboard, etc.). My goal is simple fun, sort of classic, smooth, slow and graceful cruising or carving I think you'd call it. Old man stuff, but just fine for me. I won't be entering the Billabong Tube contest anytime soon, lol. In time learning to walk the board, and maybe down the road a stab at noseriding.

    This will be a learning longboard for me, as I am nothing more than a very motivated beginner who'd like to get on a little stoke before my time is up. Thanks ever so much...
    Last edited by Greybeard; Aug 25, 2012 at 05:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,368
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Hello all from a Greybeard in rainy Fort Lauderdale, Florida - as soon to be hurrican Isaac rolls on by. I really enjoy this website and the many very talented and experienced surfers here, and I have learned a lot. I'd really appreciate your opinions and advice, but I'm under some time pressure.

    There are two nice used epoxy boards for sale now: the Arrow CJ 10'0" or the August What I Ride 9'6". The Arrow is 10' x 20" x 24 x 17 x 2-7/8 in, notable front concave, relatively square tail, large single fin, 50/50 rails, 77 liter. The WIR is 9'6" x 18-1/4" x 23-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 3-1/4, teardrop front concave, relatively square tail, 2+1 fins, 60/40, 81 liters.

    Now for me and our waters:

    South Florida is entirely beach breaks, and the Bahamas block most ocean swells, so it's mostly small wind driven chop and smaller (if not small waves), lots of mush. As for me, I'm 5'8", 185 lbs, a very fit 65 years old (bike, kayak, bodyboard, etc.). My goal is simple fun, sort of classic, smooth, slow and graceful cruising or carving I think you'd call it. Old man stuff, but just fine for me. I won't be entering the Billabong Tube contest anytime soon, lol. In time learning to walk the board, and maybe down the road a stab at noseriding.

    This will be a learning longboard for me, as I am nothing more than a very motivated beginner who'd like to get on a little stoke before my time is up. Thanks ever so much...
    i think the arrow is geared more towards an expert skill level and the RA is more of a beginner to expert board. if you already know how to surf, i would go for the arrow, if you are beginning i would go for the RA.

  3. #3
    The Arrow is a true noserider; the WIR is more of an all-arounder and cruiser. In beachbreak, it is nice to have the narrower nose and tail for quickly pulling into waves and cruising down the line. But if you really want to cross-step and ride the nose, you can't beat the 20" nose width and big concave of the Arrow, as well as the 17 inch tail width. Both of these boards are great choices - I have ridden a 9'0" WIR in Costa Rica for about a week and enjoyed it a lot and a couple of my friends love their Arrows - but I think the question is do you want a noserider that with some developed skill can be used as a cruiser (the Arrow) or do you want a cruiser, hence easier board to ride in a beachbreak, that with some developed skill can be noseridden - see Wingnut Weaver in Endless Summer II. Aloha!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    52
    I have a CJ Arrow. It's an awesome noserider. Great board when the waves are small and peeling. Locks in on the wave and trims from the center allowing you to move around. Nothing special in average beach break though. Needs a clean lined up wave to really do its thing. It can still catch waves early and get you up on small junk, but there are better options for average waves. I've ridden a What I Ride. Didn't really do much for me. Rode like a funboard. Good for a novice surfer in average waves. I would look into performance longboards. Clean Ocean Surfboards down by you has some really great HP longboard options.

  5. #5
    A sincere thanks to all of you!

    Based on your replies and others elsewhere, I have come to favor the CJ for these reasons: my age and beginner status, the increased width and stability of the board, a design that while stable is reputed to turn quite well (for a noserider) from all positions (but that has enough tail kick to pivot), smooth and forgiving 50/50 rails (somewhat pinched) throughout, excellent glide, easy paddling and great small wave catching, and the fact that my focus will be on small stuff and mush for quite some time. Whew! I also found that new CJ's are among the few Tufflite longboards that really do work well, in the case of the CJ related to it's thinner profile and great width, both of which resulting in some poly like flexibility.

    I also found that the CJ gets far more favorable comments in general than the WIR (which seems to require larger surf). The fact that I found a new CJ Tufflite - brand new - for $799 was really hard to ignore. To finish up, I must relate that the east coast shops are pushing the Magic 9'6" very hard, and to be honest, this is indeed an interesting board, but which I finally decided to pass on as I believe it is more a kind of all around, higher performance, noseridable but a very quick and agile ride. This might be attractive otherwise, but although the board is promoted as a do everything for everybody from beginner to pro, at anytime, in any conditions begins to fail the smell test. Does it or not? Hard to say, especially for me.

    My own feelings now remain with the CJ, particularly with my abilities and goals, as I'm guessing the Magic may be too responsive for this old man. But I'll sure appreciate any comments....

    Again, thanks to all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    470
    a longboard for 8 bills is hard to ignore. i think you're making the right choice on shape. a 10'0" with 50/50 rails and a big fin. about as classic as you get. im not keen on that shape as a tufflite though. does it feel light? i would want some weight to a board like that for momentum.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,368
    Images
    23
    damn you found that for 799 new? where?!? I have been looking to get one for a long time but no has em here and theyre super expensive shipped

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,553
    Images
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    im not keen on that shape as a tufflite though. does it feel light? i would want some weight to a board like that for momentum.
    ^^ agree. I wouldnt be buying this kind of a classic longboard shape in tuflite.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    470
    i should add that im not really keen on tufflites in general. someone gave me one as a gift. a 6'1" M10 Ratboy Model. single concave rounded pin. it has a nice shape and i take it out every once in a while and have surfed it in everything from crap to over head. It works Ok but it has a strange feel to it. it was kinda lifeless if you get my drift. It is the only pop out ive ever tried but i think if that if you had that shape on a PU blank with fiberglass it would just be a better ride.

    this has probably been discussed to death.
    Last edited by Peajay4060; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    ^^ agree. I wouldnt be buying this kind of a classic longboard shape in tuflite.
    I had the same concern but a well known shaper and designer at another site had these to say:

    Depends on your size.

    There are some 3rd generation Surftechs that work great. They finally figured out that shaping a pu/pe board and popping it out in epoxy sandwich construction was a stupid use of materials. So to get boards that behave like noseriders, they had to change the shape (d'oh!). So wider, thinner, different rails in the tail, different fin placement with regards to the stages of tail rocker... But this isn't exactly new news - probably 3 years or so.

    If you're under around 170 lbs, the Takayama In The Pink will noseride as well as you can. If you can't get it to work, it isn't the board. If you're over that, same goes for the Arrow CJ Nelson in 10'0". Works like a dream.
    It was also pointed out that the width (24") and thinness (2-7/8") and length (10') of the CJ, allowed the otherwise stiff Tufflite to flex and perform more like a thicker poly board. Hope that helps...
    Last edited by Greybeard; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:51 PM.