LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pellet Gun

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Have you ever killed and eaten an animal other than a fish? I don't know if it's as black and white as you make it out to be. where do you draw the line? do you eat mosquitoes that you kill? flies? are those animals too small? would you eat a brown bear that you killed in defense of life or property (your children's out on the trampoline in the backyard or your chickens' in the coop)? would you eat a wolf that you killed to defend your dogs? interesting discussion. too bad it always gets personal.
    All this talk of food.

Bear, yes, personally I love bear. Black bears were so prevalent when I was a teen in PA that hunting them was quite common place, never had brown, I imagine it tastes the same depending on what it was eating. Course, at my folks' place in the Poconos, I have literally taken a wild turkey with a 12 from the back deck. It's a pretty big spread. Mt. Pocono Jr. High made you go out and pull bear molars and take paw castings every fall in science class back in the day, wonder if they still make the kids do that? The bears eat so many blue berries in the bogs and black berries that it dyes their intestines a dark purple. Tastes so good. F.I.L. got a black last fall in OR using a .54 black powder single shot at 20-25 yards. Went through the last of that fella round March. Dog is greasy and not too tasty. Tasted it once in the P.I. Not my cup of tea. Would be game to try wolf. Kind of think it would taste like dog though except leaner and kind of more funky since they eat carrion. Eat anything once. You know what tastes really good and is kind of out there, fruit bat. There's a reason why those critters are endangered or extinct on certain islands. Tried that in Bali back in the early 90's, oh man, right up there with giant clam, raw gulf oysters, rabbit (prefer rabbits I raised to wild) and coconut crab. Anyway, ethical hunters hunt game when it's in season, don't harvest more than they need and do their best to ensure that the animal is killed and then treated afterwards in the most humanely and respectful manner. Shooting critters is fun, but doing it for fun, that's different and wrong.

So hungry

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    never had brown, I imagine it tastes the same depending on what it was eating.
    browns up here eat the finest salmon on the planet. i prefer the salmon...

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    You were making such progress, Cresto. And now this.

Just kidding, a bit.

Seriously, there's a huge difference between killing a bear that's trying to kill your offspring and killing any animal for fun. One is defense, the other is flat-out sadism. Eat the bear or not, your call, but if it is trying to scarf down your kiddies, it's neither here nor there. Maybe you just chose a poor analogy.

The initiator of this thread made it quite clear that his associates are killing seagulls for sport. Shooting them, watching them stagger off in severe pain to die slowly & rot in the sun. These idiots think that making creatures suffer is fun, funny, enjoyable & a good way to spend their existence on this planet.

As is the norm for the forum, the thread has meandered, ahem, to be diplomatic about it.

As to the original thread starter topic: it IS black & white. It's so black & white that there's federal laws, state laws & local laws against killing seagulls; in particular, it's a felony. Aside from the laws, the very act of torturing / destroying one of God's creatures for laughter & 'fun' is an abomination.

The superior species, eh?

Those seagull torturers should be taken out & allowed to roam Raspberry Island, naked, with bloody steaks strapped to their arses. Equal time for the bears up there, yes? Let those men see what it feels like when a Kodiak bear turns them into lasagna.
    can we get a bit more melodramatic???

Images
    Have you ever killed and eaten an animal other than a fish? I don't know if it's as black and white as you make it out to be. where do you draw the line? do you eat mosquitoes that you kill? flies? are those animals too small? would you eat a brown bear that you killed in defense of life or property (your children's out on the trampoline in the backyard or your chickens' in the coop)? would you eat a wolf that you killed to defend your dogs? interesting discussion. too bad it always gets personal.
    One time I was running and I swallowed a fly. I don't know if it died or not but I digested it anyway. I'm immune to mosquitos so they don't bother me.

I don't think I would shoot and eat my kids for messing up my trampoline though, that's just wrong, where are you from and why do you like trampolines so much?

Cicadias are actually quite good if you rip the wings and legs off then lightly toast them. They have a nice nutty flavor. I would have never tried this without seeing someone else do it first though. Maybe next time I go on a long road trip in summer I'll scrape all the dead bugs off the windshield and make a nice little smoothie.

Cresto, have you been drinking with the inuit too much? You're starting to act a little funny.

Too big to skimboard anymore, and I don't live in So Cal anymore. 6 ' 2" 220. There are plenty bigger and badder.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    How big a boy are ya?

One time I was running and I swallowed a fly. I don't know if it died or not but I digested it anyway. I'm immune to mosquitos so they don't bother me.

I don't think I would shoot and eat my kids for messing up my trampoline though, that's just wrong, where are you from and why do you like trampolines so much?

Cicadias are actually quite good if you rip the wings and legs off then lightly toast them. They have a nice nutty flavor. I would have never tried this without seeing someone else do it first though. Maybe next time I go on a long road trip in summer I'll scrape all the dead bugs off the windshield and make a nice little smoothie.

Cresto, have you been drinking with the inuit too much? You're starting to act a little funny.
    no doubt. summers of endless light and the knowledge of approaching darkness makes the entire population of ak a little crazy. luckily fall swells (and harvest) are just around the corner...

Images
    no doubt. summers of endless light and the knowledge of approaching darkness makes the entire population of ak a little crazy. luckily fall swells (and harvest) are just around the corner...
    Well said. I can only imagine all light and no night. Must be crazy.

Ok you have a free pass.

. . . Cicadias are actually quite good if you rip the wings and legs off then lightly toast them. They have a nice nutty flavor. . . .
    More talk of food! Why do I always skip dinner to go surfin? Then I have to wait until the little one passes put or she begs worse 'n the dog. Cicadas smell funny. Never thought about eating one though, big red eyes have always creeped me out, but next time I'm home in July/August (G-d forbid) I'll do it. I'll eat anything that won't make me sick, I will no longer eat Pismo clams from IB. Short list. Do you mean in their nymph phase or as adults? I think I'd rather eat 'em as nymphs (no big red eyes), but I've never seen a live nymph cicada that I didn't dig up and use as bait.

P.S. I just realized you mentioned cooking them first, I hadn't thought of that.

P.P.S. wings = adult, I'm always so slow when I think of food.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    can we get a bit more melodramatic???
    dude weak