LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Training for the swell

Three dolphins were surfing up my street the other night. I've seen them surf perfect tubes with authority. They're always in the right spot. Were not the only creatures that enjoy surf!

Images
    That's awesome, must've been great to witness!

It's even better when you're in the water with them. That is, until you get cut-off by one of em.

Images
    I've noticed mullet swimming in the crest of the waves lately. Pretty common throughout late summer and fall. This is also when I notice the most sharks in the water. Nothing big, just spinners (I think). They're capable of some pretty impressive acrobatics as well.

Images
    The best is when you see the dolphins jump out of the waves... Pretty bad ass...

Images
    i was surfing a shoal last week and out of no where a huge dolphin came flying at me through a set that had already broken on the outer bar. it came with in like 5 feet of me then turned and swam around until a bunch of others showed up. it was really crazy.

and this year i was fishing in captiva florida in a back bay when a pod showed up and jumped into our wake. they rode it for like 10 minutes straight and were doing acrobatics out of the water. dolphins are just unbelievable creatures.

I used to see them jump the bow wake of the submarine I was on when we were transiting on the surface. I'd be up there on the conning tower and when the ocean was glassy and the sun was low in the sky it was phenomenal. Almost made up for the rest of the time I spent underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis View Post
    I used to see them jump the bow wake of the submarine I was on...
    Sub wakes are no joke. i'd love to see one make a few passes close to the beach on a flat day. My dad and I were flying along in his boat and hit a set of sub wakes and they must have been 5ft. Airborne!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdann View Post
    It's even better when you're in the water with them. That is, until you get cut-off by one of em.
    i think they're intimidating as hell up close. that warm fuzzy Flipper persona vanishes when they surface right next to you....you're with a fish (well, a mammal, actually) as big as you are, on it's home turf, not yours :-o

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i think they're intimidating as hell up close. that warm fuzzy Flipper persona vanishes when they surface right next to you....you're with a fish (well, a mammal, actually) as big as you are, on it's home turf, not yours :-o
    they are pretty intimidating...theyre huge, hundreds of pounds. theyre all over the place down here. i see them almost every time i go out