LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    just realized i may be up in Annapolis next Monday - anyone know the nearest place to find at least somewhat uncrowded surf? would that be Ocean City? thanks!
    As you go over the Verrazano Bridge into Assateague you have two options:
    right turn just after the huge sign warning tourists that the wild horses on Assateague bite, kick & charge at people will bring you to the national park aspect;
    stay straight on after you cross the bridge & you'll hit the state park aspect in a couple hundred yards.

BTW: national park is dog-friendly, state park is no dogs allowed.

I live in OCMD and went to college in Annapolis. I work close to Assateague so that is my main surf spot. Last year, I surfed mostly on the national park side; this year I am going mostly to the state park side.

I agree with most of the other posters that your best bet for uncrowded surf closest to Annapolis is Assateague Island. Unless you have a national park pass, you're probably better off just going to the state park and paying the cheaper fee (as a previous poster mentioned, stay straight after crossing the Verrazano Bridge - and take the third right - 1st right is the main road to the national park, 2nd right is the road to the state park camping loops, 3rd right is the entrance to the state park beach parking lot, there is no 4th right - you'll hit the dunes)

Walk out to the beach on the main boardwalk next to the bathrooms/restaurant and you'll see several peaks right out in front or north/south within a couple of hundred yards. No need to walk too far up or down the beach.

I usually check the swellinfo Mid-Atlantic > Chincoteague forecast and find that is pretty accurate for Assateague. You'll want at least 1-2 ft and not too blown out to be ridable (and you may need a longboard). Over 2ft, and I am usually on my fish. Flat to 1, and it may not be worth the drive from Annapolis unless you just want to hang at the beach or maybe get a paddle in for exercise.
    Last edited by funkyspec; Sep 1, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Images
    thanks all....have to go visit my mom in Annapolis on Sunday/Monday and suddenly have visions of that swell lingering on past the weekend (which it would never do, if i was home in CB). so, i'm trying to calculate the feasibility of slipping out to catch some surf on Monday, if possible...

Images
    Try the Chesapeake Bay, there's a beach on the west side of the Bay Bridge called Sandy Point. You can definitely surf there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post
    Try the Chesapeake Bay, there's a beach on the west side of the Bay Bridge called Sandy Point. You can definitely surf there.
    you're kidding, right?

Sandy Point! I've actually caught Cape St. Claire beach (about 5 min west), but the wind has to be howling out the north. On a more serious note - Indian River Inlet (or any Delaware spot) is about a half hour closer to Annapolis than Assateague. But, I still make my way down to Assateague just for the vibe though. But the National side is definitely NOT uncrowded, at least on the weekends. There's typically between 50-100 people out. At least that my experience. But people are typically friendly, mellow and respectful. Beach gets really crowded too. Wife and I walk way up the beach to get some space and then a loud family plops down obnoxiously close. I never go to the state side so that may be better. There's surprising few beaches around that actually allow pets...

Are you scheduled for next weekend? If so, looks like swell will definitely be around....we'll have to wait and see if the winds will ever cooperate...
    Last edited by headrow; Sep 3, 2012 at 02:54 AM.