LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Ideally, you would want a cove/bay with a really long sandbar and somewhere where the swell refracts into. Most of The geography unfortunately of nj/ny is straight wide open coastline.

So you're stuck basically looking for where a lot of sand built up with a fairly long sandbar. This can vary because of shifting sand. Check a bunch of spots. There are some spots that generally work better than others obviously. That goes for anywhere.

i just toss beats on choppy days

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
    troll ..............

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Ideally, you would want a cove/bay with a really long sandbar and somewhere where the swell refracts into. Most of The geography unfortunately of nj/ny is straight wide open coastline.

So you're stuck basically looking for where a lot of sand built up with a fairly long sandbar. This can vary because of shifting sand. Check a bunch of spots. There are some spots that generally work better than others obviously. That goes for anywhere.
    Thanks for the tips! Do you have any specific recommendations for beaches or specific spots on queens or long island? I'm willing to go as far south as point pleasant, nj if I knew it would be rideable. I suppose there will be other people out where it is rideable, so once I get there that could answer my question. Not to be whiny, and I am thrilled to have access to beaches after being landlocked for so many years, but it is kind of a bummer that this happens on the east coast. Something I just never thought of happening, but should have. Another stupid question, if it is closing out everywhere, is there any possibility of rideable waves at coney island where they normally never get waves? I really need to take a geology class to get better at this.
    Last edited by skater; Sep 5, 2012 at 03:01 AM.

forecast already changing ....

Images
    Icy beats?

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Thanks for the tips! Do you have any specific recommendations for beaches or specific spots on queens or long island?.
    I'd help you out, but I'm not from the area. So you're probably more familiar with the local breaks than I am. Only been to ny and nj a few times.

I agree completely.

this swell already downgraded. everyone gets so excited about a hurricane. winter time swells are way better. these storms are only preidictable about a few days in advance and everyone is talking about what training techniques to be ready for the big ground swell. hahhaa-may get a few good days overhead sets but not a week of solid waves like thought

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    It's forecasting smaller here. Anyway, the storm hasn't even entered our swell window YET. Until it does, it's hype as we've seen with countless other tropical storms. Their fickle beasts! That being said, we are probably going to get something from this. It's our most promising storm yet. I hope it pans out.

TROPICAL STORM LESLIE ADVISORY NUMBER 9
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL122012
    1100 AM AST SAT SEP 01 2012

...LESLIE STRUGGLING AGAINST SHEAR...

Images
    it's pretty dam good up in these parts. Overhead this morning on set...easily.

NOW I'm excited! Looks like solid chest to shoulder high up here. It certainly took long enough for a tropical storm to FINALLY deliver something more than knee high after all those named storms we've had. I think it was some kind of record. Just waiting for those pesky local winds to cooperate. Winds aren't looking to good. That's the only bad thing Of course it was overhyped/overforecasted by many sites. MSW had 8 feet at 18 seconds forecasted yesterday for Sunday into Monday. lol
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Sep 5, 2012 at 01:48 PM.