LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brah I agree with you 100%... I've had some of my toughest paddle outs when it's going off in jersey! Don't under estimate jerseys raw power

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    long period swell should be a pretty easy paddle out everywhere, no?
    My same thought. Can someone confirm this ?

If you have to ask about an "easy" paddle out.........

When the wind starts blowing on shore and the waves get tall paddling out can be a bit of a workout in jersey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkupdog View Post
    no such thing as a hard paddle out in NJ
    Where do you surf? The bay? It's easier to get out at 10ft pipe then 5ft NJ without a doubt. The same goes for just about every big name spot you can think of. Do you know what all the best breaks have in common? A channel! I suspect that you and NJsurfer42 are really high, or just novice surfers talking out of your butts.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Im not even from the area and I know that's totally wrong. Nj has heavy hollow waves breaking very close to shore. Not a lot variety in the waves. All basically the same. A lot of effort just to move a few feet because so much is happening in such a small area. No real channels or anything. This isn't pipeline or other breaks that have a easy paddle out. Brutal paddle outs especially when a storm passes close by. Think about trying to paddle out at "c"(gambling) pier just after irene. Ouch. lol
    It's fair to say we have some hard days but no hard spots to paddle out. If your paddling into an overhead short period mess of turbulent current and with a hard on shore wind it can be tough.

if you can read the conditions right, there is no such thing as a hard paddle out in nj. some days are more difficult than others, but that usually stems from mistiming sets &/or misjudging currents & conditions.

Images
    Regardless of the beachfill, a swell at 15 to 16 seconds in NJ rarely serves up great waves/conditions with the exception of a few spots. PS- The swell last Tuesday was super fun in AC, from St. James all the way up to NJ (when it was $hit many other places), and NO ONE was out....except for the surf lessons...
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    Central Pier (Tennessee Ave) in AC was always a super-easy wave to get at...a short walk along a skeevy drainage pipe got you halfway out....time the sets right and and you're out in a couple of paddles.

however, old friends up there tell me AC just underwent some kind of massive beach restoration and nothing is breaking right, so i have no idea if that's still the case.

Images
    The swell last Tuesday was super fun in AC, from St. James all the way up to NJ (when it was $hit many other places), and NO ONE was out.... Plus, south southeast winds in AC can 'F' up just about any swell.
    Quote Originally Posted by weathermaang View Post
    yup they definitely destroyed some amazing spots. I surfed S.Carolina ave groin for years but my favorite spot when it was on was always the lefts at GO KARTS proper... (the pier used to say "GO KARTS" back in the day but eventually just said "GO" which was cool to look up and see when you were thinking about throwing it all over the ledge on a suicide drop right in front of the pier with the insanity pee wee herman music blasting from Ripleys and the go cart guy over the PA system yelling "GO FASTER!" "NO BOMPING")... the paddle out was a shallow walk out to the end of the pipe and then an express train rip right out to the peak... on the the day after a Noreaster you'd have "the box" out in front of the pier starting at the rockpile on the other side, the main peak, and then the outsiders and sometimes frieght train sets connecting it all together... anyway those days are gone.. now there are some other mutant heaving death barrels up the beach a bit... some guys surf those spots but i dunno, looks like a neck breaker to me. I've got kids now..

best of luck this week. I'll be out.. somewhere..