LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Va Beach Surf

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Va Beach Surf

    Much respect to Hurricane Leslie !! Yeah I know I'm a grom, and proud of it !! I don't care ! I took a beating from her waves out at 15st yesterday. I showed up around 10 or so, and well overhead waves, I was stunned !! For here because, well, let's face it, Va Beach has no waves, unless a storm heads this way... I was walking down the beach, and people were saying they came down from the north end to see if the waves were smaller, haha !! Obviously we don't get this kinda surf, and anyone from here should know that !

    Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the swell !! Enjoy it !! I had a great afternoon at the north end today ! I still suck, but this is the first year I've actually taken the time to commit to surfing... Probably shouldn't have stuck my happy ass in the water yesterday, but I learned my limits very fast !

    Any suggestions on holding my breath underwater workouts ?? The undertow was intense !!

  2. #2
    Great and nice collaboration with surf words..

  3. #3
    First of all, I'm stoked that you're frothing over the whole surfing thing. Secondly, let me apologize for choosing your thread to place my late-night rant... which is this.

    I am from VB, have left and lived in FL, CA, and HI and traveled all over the globe in search of waves. And, NEVER, EVER, have I been in a town in which EVERYONE so exaggerates the size of the waves. For days now, I've been hearing guys talk about the solid overhead surf in VB. BULL@#%T! For the duration of the swell, I've been surfing up and down our small stretch of coast, morning, noon, and night, and haven't seen hide nor hair of these consistent overheads that everyone is ranting about.

    On my way home from surfing waist high lines in Sandbridge this evening, some stranger stopped at my car upon seeing my trunks and boards. "Fun waves tonight, eh?" he says. I said something like, "Sure, just wish it would get a bit bigger." To which he replies, "Yesterday was EPIC!" I say "Really, I must've missed that." (Fun, OK. EPIC, no way) He says, "It was solid 7 foot all day!" At this I just had to laugh and walk away.

    So my advice to you, my frothing friend is to keep surfing, keep practicing, your lungs will come with time. But, pleeeeeassse do not join the throngs of VB kooks that are out there "shredding the gnar" on every walled-out waist high tropical swell, whilst regaling your friends with stories of double-overhead A-frame Hurricane surf.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    some stranger stopped at my car upon seeing my trunks and boards. "Fun waves tonight, eh?" he says. I said something like, "Sure, just wish it would get a bit bigger."
    hahaha. dont you love encounters with strangers? i get a lot of people, not even surfers - actually never surfers, mostly old people stumbling out of rvs - on a maybe waist high day - wow! you were out there! that must be cold and the waves are so rough! - and im all ya i just wish it was bigger and they're like ooohhh he wishes it was biiiiiger. and im just like huh? and fok im glad your reality isnt my reality.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bogue Banks
    Posts
    62
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    First of all, I'm stoked that you're frothing over the whole surfing thing. Secondly, let me apologize for choosing your thread to place my late-night rant... which is this.

    I am from VB, have left and lived in FL, CA, and HI and traveled all over the globe in search of waves. And, NEVER, EVER, have I been in a town in which EVERYONE so exaggerates the size of the waves. For days now, I've been hearing guys talk about the solid overhead surf in VB. BULL@#%T! For the duration of the swell, I've been surfing up and down our small stretch of coast, morning, noon, and night, and haven't seen hide nor hair of these consistent overheads that everyone is ranting about.

    On my way home from surfing waist high lines in Sandbridge this evening, some stranger stopped at my car upon seeing my trunks and boards. "Fun waves tonight, eh?" he says. I said something like, "Sure, just wish it would get a bit bigger." To which he replies, "Yesterday was EPIC!" I say "Really, I must've missed that." (Fun, OK. EPIC, no way) He says, "It was solid 7 foot all day!" At this I just had to laugh and walk away.

    So my advice to you, my frothing friend is to keep surfing, keep practicing, your lungs will come with time. But, pleeeeeassse do not join the throngs of VB kooks that are out there "shredding the gnar" on every walled-out waist high tropical swell, whilst regaling your friends with stories of double-overhead A-frame Hurricane surf.
    I couldn't agree more, I was in VB last week. There was small left over swell on Monday and Tuesday. It was my first time surfing there since the 90's... kook central. The water quality is pretty nasty too.

  6. #6
    I don't know about solid 7ft all day, thats the first time I heard that, but occasionally? Yes. And i know b/c I got hammered by one and my body says so lol !! I used to surf off and on in the late 90s and early 2000s at the obx during storm swells, and that was big stuff for me. But to each his own I guess, I just wish it would stay like this, good practice for me! Later dudes!



    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    First of all, I'm stoked that you're frothing over the whole surfing thing. Secondly, let me apologize for choosing your thread to place my late-night rant... which is this.

    I am from VB, have left and lived in FL, CA, and HI and traveled all over the globe in search of waves. And, NEVER, EVER, have I been in a town in which EVERYONE so exaggerates the size of the waves. For days now, I've been hearing guys talk about the solid overhead surf in VB. BULL@#%T! For the duration of the swell, I've been surfing up and down our small stretch of coast, morning, noon, and night, and haven't seen hide nor hair of these consistent overheads that everyone is ranting about.

    On my way home from surfing waist high lines in Sandbridge this evening, some stranger stopped at my car upon seeing my trunks and boards. "Fun waves tonight, eh?" he says. I said something like, "Sure, just wish it would get a bit bigger." To which he replies, "Yesterday was EPIC!" I say "Really, I must've missed that." (Fun, OK. EPIC, no way) He says, "It was solid 7 foot all day!" At this I just had to laugh and walk away.

    So my advice to you, my frothing friend is to keep surfing, keep practicing, your lungs will come with time. But, pleeeeeassse do not join the throngs of VB kooks that are out there "shredding the gnar" on every walled-out waist high tropical swell, whilst regaling your friends with stories of double-overhead A-frame Hurricane surf.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    143
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey1982va View Post
    Much respect to Hurricane Leslie !! Yeah I know I'm a grom, and proud of it !! I don't care ! I took a beating from her waves out at 15st yesterday. I showed up around 10 or so, and well overhead waves, I was stunned !! For here because, well, let's face it, Va Beach has no waves, unless a storm heads this way... I was walking down the beach, and people were saying they came down from the north end to see if the waves were smaller, haha !! Obviously we don't get this kinda surf, and anyone from here should know that !

    Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the swell !! Enjoy it !! I had a great afternoon at the north end today ! I still suck, but this is the first year I've actually taken the time to commit to surfing... Probably shouldn't have stuck my happy ass in the water yesterday, but I learned my limits very fast !

    Any suggestions on holding my breath underwater workouts ?? The undertow was intense !!

    Keep the stoke!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,342
    Images
    23
    haters gonna hate

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    haters gonna hate
    It's not about hating. It's about fact vs. fiction. I'm not bashing anyone. It's just that, all too often, newer surfers get caught up in the "fish story" aspect of surfing. The whole "you shoulda been here yesterday" stuff, always calling the surf a foot or two bigger than it actually is... and they don't realize that when they do this while talking to anyone who actually surfs, they are making themselves look like massive kooks! Think of this as me trying to help a brother out and help him avoid being one of those guys whom everyone rolls their eyes at.

    The surf in VB has been fun. Super glad everyone's been enjoying it. But, it just HASN'T been EPIC or CRUSHING, or SOLID OVERHEAD, or any of the terms that people are throwing out on the message boards or in supermarket parking lots.

    And, pleeeease don't tell me that if I was just surfing 5th Street from 9:17 - 11:23 yesterday morning, I would've seen it for myself. BULLS@#*T. I've been surfing up and down our town all day for the whole week. It just ain't true boys. And you know what, THAT IS PERFECTLY OK! We're all big boys now, we don't need to pretend.

    And... I'll add an apology. I shouldn't be wasting so much time on this, but this is a serious pet peeve of mine. Sorry for offending those of you who love to tell your fish tales. Enjoy the surf!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,342
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    It's not about hating. It's about fact vs. fiction. I'm not bashing anyone. It's just that, all too often, newer surfers get caught up in the "fish story" aspect of surfing. The whole "you shoulda been here yesterday" stuff, always calling the surf a foot or two bigger than it actually is... and they don't realize that when they do this while talking to anyone who actually surfs, they are making themselves look like massive kooks! Think of this as me trying to help a brother out and help him avoid being one of those guys whom everyone rolls their eyes at.

    The surf in VB has been fun. Super glad everyone's been enjoying it. But, it just HASN'T been EPIC or CRUSHING, or SOLID OVERHEAD, or any of the terms that people are throwing out on the message boards or in supermarket parking lots.

    And, pleeeease don't tell me that if I was just surfing 5th Street from 9:17 - 11:23 yesterday morning, I would've seen it for myself. BULLS@#*T. I've been surfing up and down our town all day for the whole week. It just ain't true boys. And you know what, THAT IS PERFECTLY OK! We're all big boys now, we don't need to pretend.

    And... I'll add an apology. I shouldn't be wasting so much time on this, but this is a serious pet peeve of mine. Sorry for offending those of you who love to tell your fish tales. Enjoy the surf!
    why do you care so much....? the up part of town has been small and the down part of town has been big. occ 7ft tuesday and yesterday was true. so if you spent more time in the north end and not by croatan, you would have seen smaller waves.