LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

east coast surf! help! :)

Hi I have become quite addicted to this sport and have been surfing pretty much anything from sloppy knee to some of my first successful overhead swells this past storm. Due too my short time of surfing just about a year I dont have the benefit of knowing how every type of board works best for each wave so in need of a new board I had some questions I am looking for something to work in knee to about head high like 20' wide 6 feet suggestions on tail and fin set ups for this would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jcyr2 View Post
    Hi I have become quite addicted to this sport and have been surfing pretty much anything from sloppy knee to some of my first successful overhead swells this past storm. Due too my short time of surfing just about a year I dont have the benefit of knowing how every type of board works best for each wave so in need of a new board I had some questions I am looking for something to work in knee to about head high like 20' wide 6 feet suggestions on tail and fin set ups for this would be greatly appreciated
    I've been really impressed with my CI Motorboat in these conditions.. Just a thought.

go to your local surf shop & ask them.

Images
    20 feet? That's pretty wide dude.
    I love riding lots of different types of boards, so I will just say ride everything you can until you find something you really like. I prefer fish tails and more rounded noses than what most will ride.

get a ci quad pod its perfect for everything or a flyer

Meant inches my phone changed it though my bad

I really like operating lots of different types of snowboards, well, i will only say trip all you may unless you uncover something you actually just like. I prefer fish tails plus much more rounded noses as compared to what exactly nearly all will trip.

Images
    depending on what you where riding before, I would suggest something in the mid 6ft range, maybe longer. BUT the main thing- if your still learning- is that you really want more float so you can catch waves easier and more stable. I wouldn't worry about the fin set up- but I would just get a thruster.

The boards that ppl suggested are great examples. FIRST-You want something that is wider (like you alredy mentioned) AND also keeping the width throughtout the nose and tail. Probably don't want something that looks high performance- or too stealthy. Second- you want something thick so it floats better. like 2 3/4". Those are the keys that you should look for. A nice- more rounded nose and wider tail and some thickness. Unless your progressing quickly...

what walkingonh2o just said makes alot of sense. you need to keep your body-type in mind as well. talk to the dudes in your LOCAL surf shop (not a Ron-Jon or some place that sells skis, waterskis ,and wakeboards also) they know what you're gonna be surfing and won't sell you something that doesn't make sense (unless they are total tools) and you must have made some friends that surf by now, talk w/them. or ifd there is someone who's style you like ask him. You'll blow up his ego a little and he'd probably be real helpful, maybe give you pointers next time your out in the water w/him. my main advice though is LEARN THE RULES. Seems like they get left out from a lot of "surf teachers or camps"

What are you riding now? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? If you're 6' or more and 185+ and have only been surfing a year on a long board, well a 6'4" x 20" x 2.5" board is going to be a huge step down. That's about as low a volume board as I ride, but I'm in the or more and plus group. There's a quiver thread on here that will give you some good ideas. Also look at mgarbutt, LBCrew, greenlight, galleryboards and tom mahady's past posts. They're all ace shapers and have answered a lot of these types of questions before. I might have gotten some of their handles wrong. You might want to think about getting a hybrid, speed egg or even an aggressive fun board shape over a more performance oriented, short board shape. They all have a lot of volume and are stabler rides and so all really good transition shapes for someone trying to move to a smaller board. Tri-fin a.k.a. Thruster setups are really nice and stable for newer surfers, but still allow for a great deal of maneuverability. Some surf shops will have demo boards that they're willing to let you try for free with a deposit or some even have really good rental boards that will give you an idea of what you might want to buy. I can tell you one thing, if you've got the bug, this is going to be far from the last board you buy or the only one in your quiver.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:11 AM.