LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good Job on Forecast

Swellinfo did a good job on this swell in RI and a good job on most of the the swells I've seen forecasted on this site. Everyone including the site admin himself seems to be too critical. I mean it's not like the forecast said head high and we got knee high! And of course every break is going to be a little different size wise. That's local knowledge and varies for each swell. A forecast is an average.

Keep up the good work!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Swellinfo did a good job on this swell in RI and a good job on most of the the swells I've seen forecasted on this site. Everyone including the site admin himself seems to be too critical. I mean it's not like the forecast said head high and we got knee high! And of course every break is going to be a little different size wise. That's local knowledge and varies for each swell. A forecast is an average.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. There is no one more critical on the forecasts, then me.
    Its always a work in progress, and modeling of the hurricanes is always a little more uncertain, since they aren't tested very much.

you need to fix the VB forecast... too much red... oh lolz

Thanks for your efforts.I don't live close enough to look at the beach every day.This site saves me a ton of time.

Images
    any new updates coming soon micah?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    any new updates coming soon micah?
    Yes... A lot of them.
    Please wait for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. There is no one more critical on the forecasts, then me.
    Its always a work in progress, and modeling of the hurricanes is always a little more uncertain, since they aren't tested very much.
    Question, about a week or so ago I believe you mentioned that you noticed that the different models were showing very different wave sizes for certain areas. I noticed that the forecast on here was very very conservative for this (specifically Ponce / NSB Inlets) area. Forecast was only waist - chest high at best over this past weekend but other sites (mainly SL) had it at 5-7ft most of the week and it turned out that it was everything they predicted to the "T". This site has helped me catch many of sessions over the years, but why was it so off this storm? I'm talking 3-4ft underforecasted. I'm not complaining (I scored anyways), just wondering why the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Question, about a week or so ago I believe you mentioned that you noticed that the different models were showing very different wave sizes for certain areas. I noticed that the forecast on here was very very conservative for this (specifically Ponce / NSB Inlets) area. Forecast was only waist - chest high at best over this past weekend but other sites (mainly SL) had it at 5-7ft most of the week and it turned out that it was everything they predicted to the "T". This site has helped me catch many of sessions over the years, but why was it so off this storm? I'm talking 3-4ft underforecasted. I'm not complaining (I scored anyways), just wondering why the big difference.

Why do you think it was? (not trying to be a smart ass, just curious and its a good exercise to provide an opinion based on your own forecasting knowledge).

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Why do you think it was? (not trying to be a smart ass, just curious and its a good exercise to provide an opinion based on your own forecasting knowledge).
    Honestly? I think it's the models being used. This happened last weekend, it also happend for Debbie and Isaac. Almost every time SL nails it on the big storms, and SI is usually more conservative. However, when there isn't a big storm out there i've noticed SI to be completely accurate, maybe more reliable than SL at times. It's the storm tracker / model they use, that's all I can come up with. What's your guess?

prob same as yours or similar. I'm guessing the storm was slightly off track which accounted for the drop in size.