LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
    I was sort of waffling between "This guy is 60 years old" and "He doesn't know Pete Smith hasn't had a shop in 40 years" myself.
    Speaking of Pete Smith's (and to go further away from this thread's original intent) I got a sweet 6'4" Spectrum pintail there in the late eighties. Rode it that day in Sept. 89' that was probably the best waves ever surfed in VB. I still have dreams about that board. Anyways, if you haven't been, the old Pete Smith's surfshop has got a really good restaurant in it now. I'm not talking about the Subway that takes up the southern half of the building, but the little Cuban place right next door. If you come to VB, then go eat there. Carry on.

I'll also throw this out there, WRV is open 9-9, every day. That's pretty convenient considering some of the other guy's hours.

WRV, I know you're watching. Hook me up with the friends and family discount on my next stick... look at me going to battle here for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    Speaking of Pete Smith's (and to go further away from this thread's original intent) I got a sweet 6'4" Spectrum pintail there in the late eighties. Rode it that day in Sept. 89' that was probably the best waves ever surfed in VB. I still have dreams about that board. Anyways, if you haven't been, the old Pete Smith's surfshop has got a really good restaurant in it now. I'm not talking about the Subway that takes up the southern half of the building, but the little Cuban place right next door. If you come to VB, then go eat there. Carry on.
    Mojito. Yeah, it is a good joint.

I actually am living here again!

Another Pete Smith tangent, I am trying to locate a board that was the first surfboard that both my buddy and I had as our first "real" surfboard. 5'8" Gordon & Smith, one of their first thrusters. He got it from Pete Smiths, and I got it from him. I actually had the board up until about 10 years ago, but I am not sure where it went.

I went to 7-11 the other day and the dude couldn't tell me a damn thing about the slurpee flavors, I am never going back!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    My guess is that your grudge, and all of the associated anger and frustration, is seriously misplaced. You, like most people, may not realize that Pete sold his shop and therefore his name way back in 1976 to a couple of non-surfer investors. From that point forward the place spiraled downward into a tourist-driven retail outlet.

They kept the name "Pete Smith's Surf Shop", milking Pete's reputation, until the business finally died in the 90's.

Hold a 20 year grudge if you must, but make sure you know who really owns the window before you throw the brick!
    I was 20 so it was 75. Still responsible. Yeah, I held a grudge. I was making 4 dollars an hour. a wetsuit took a lot of that. luckily weed was 20 bucks a Z or I'da fire bombed his azz.

the only thing I left my first marriage with was a real bad attitude and 2 pair of 10 oz everlast boxing gloves. I had a 2 room apartment in Ocean Spew (where the sewer meets the sea). 1 room just for fighting. My buddy was 5 inches shorter but we weighed the same. he was a fisherman and had his finger wacked by an exhaust fan on a boat. we couldn't box any more. so I found some snow chains I had in Colo. those things hurt! that room was fugged up when I moved. lost my 35 dollar deposit.

Images
    still don't like wrv, though their Fernandez epoxy longboards look nice and are cheap. I may pick one up. but for everything else, I go to freedom

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    In death, a member of project mayhem has a name, his name is Robert Paulsen. His name is Robert Paulsen. His name is Robert Paulsen. His name is Robert Paulsen..
    Man, I was saying this to my buds this week in SD. I forget why, but we kept saying it and laughing. FC is such a good flick.

As for surf shops and employees, they're like everything else in the world - 80 to 90% of them mediocre to crap, and the other 10 to 20% are exceptional and why we keep going back. Pick your spots, water the fertile land with your dough, and absolve yourself of idiocracy as the fools will bury themselves in Brawndo and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    I went to 7-11 the other day and the dude couldn't tell me a damn thing about the slurpee flavors, I am never going back!
    Yes you are. It's not possible to not stop at 7-11 for something. I don't even go near the slurpees and for those who do, I'm sure it's lights out, season ticket.

On your account, I stand corrected, sir. Sounds like your visit to Pete's shop coincided with the time-frame during which Pete was having some of his well-known "issues" (which ultimately led to the sale of his shop). This doesn't excuse him from responsibility for your negative experience, but does help to put it into perspective.

God knows, we've all screwed people over at some point during our lives, whether intentionally or not. Probably good on all accounts that there was no firebombing involved!