LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    And that's not a biz that I'll spend money with. Ever.
    Except for the 80 dollar boardbag you just bought - AFTER being treated with disrespect by that idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Except for the 80 dollar boardbag you just bought - AFTER being treated with disrespect by that idiot.
    Need the bag for a trip that's coming up fast; didn't feel like digging around on the Net / local shops, again. As I stated, I sent an email to WRV in re: the d*** they have working the counter. It's over, as far as I'm concerned.

Good service is still hard to find. You would think that in these tough times where people are generally more selective as to where and how they spend their money, businesses would focus on their service practices to compete with the other guys.

Surf shops are the worst. I have one mentality when walking into a shop, and that's go grab whatever I need and gtfo. I'm over the attitude and bad service. Before I go in and make a major purchase, I'll just do my research so I don't have to end up talking to one of the lazy and unknowledgable punks they hire and screw up with my head since I can be so easily distracted. There's only one shop here where the owner himself runs the register, and I talk with him for 15-20 minutes whenever I'm there. It's small and he doesn't have everything, but it's where I go to get the basics: wax, leash, ding repair, rashguard, etc.

Images
    yankee....everytime i go in there (4 times total) it's been the same thing...the employees have no clue about anything they sell...they literally read the descriptions of theboards off the sticker. Also, they had no idea on any of the brands of boards in their used selection and said " we don't know other brands, just ours". I got a nugget from them and when the guy was putting on my new traction bad, he accident tore a chunk off it and acted like it was no big deal.."you still want it?" no i do not want to pay full price on a torn traction pad....and i paid straight cash on it and he said he would get me a deal and gave me 15% off the pad i did actually buy...place is a joke. The board is nice though. I wish i could order it online and just pick it up at the shop without having to talk to anyone.

Images
    oh and i much prefer freedom than wrv. they're employees are super nice and informative, and the owner actually works and talks to the customers. minus the annoying summer time surf camp, their shop is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    yankee....everytime i go in there (4 times total) it's been the same thing...the employees have no clue about anything they sell...they literally read the descriptions of theboards off the sticker. Also, they had no idea on any of the brands of boards in their used selection and said " we don't know other brands, just ours". I got a nugget from them and when the guy was putting on my new traction bad, he accident tore a chunk off it and acted like it was no big deal.."you still want it?" no i do not want to pay full price on a torn traction pad....and i paid straight cash on it and he said he would get me a deal and gave me 15% off the pad i did actually buy...place is a joke. The board is nice though. I wish i could order it online and just pick it up at the shop without having to talk to anyone.
    S-Fish...that's a classic tale....I don't know what the owner of WRV is like, but if he's like everyone else who runs a service / retail biz in the USA, he's gotta be scrambling to find quality employees. It's tough to find people who want to work, let alone work with a positive attitude.

I really like going over to Austin Saunders surf shop in VB. Cool guy, passionate about surfing, will spend as much or as little time with you talking, looking, designing boards as you want. First time I met the guy was at his old shop, kind of like a Quonset Hut structure on the outskirts of town. Within minutes he was giving us a tour of the place, letting us check out the blanks, the wood that he was using to make alaias, we were there for over an hour - - and this was when he was in the midst of making boards, so he took time from his day for us.

In any customer-centric business it starts at the top...if ownershipgeneral management accepts and/or ignores shoddy employee performance then that's the level of service you'll undoubtedly receive. And WRV VB is a classic example. Their owner is what he is...

Brave New World in Little Silver, NJ. Guys who work upstairs in the board and "equipment" room are extremely knowledgable and helpful. I have seen BNW get a bad rap on here in the past, and to be honest, just bought a used board with my nephew down in Point this summer, and the guys did not give us the time of day. Went there off the suggestion of the guys in LS because have a much bigger used board inventory. Not in a rush to go back to Point Pleasant, but Chris and the guys in Little Silver are legit and great to deal with.

Ryan at 17th Street in VB. A true waterman across the board...very knowledgeable and has a great deal of experience in the industry. He runs the Strawbridge location, but should be running the whole show.

WRV, I don't think Dwayne would stand for that incident.

It's a shame to hear about your WRV shopping experience. Every shop is going to be different, as every head is going to be different. WRV is one of the larger East Coast labels and I hope that they "fix the glitch" to ensure continued success.