LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 120
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloSurfer View Post
    I don't think I know Shane... but I can say that WRV employees Geoff and Dave are both super-cool, first rate guys. If you ever decide to give RV another shot, seek out either of these two guys and your experience will be 180 degrees from that which Shane provided. Hopefully Les or one of his managers will see this and set things straight.

    I can second what VBWaveski said in that Dave Shotten and all of his crew at Freedom have always been welcoming and super helpful.
    Freedom. I avoid all business' using that word in it's title. Using an American tragedy to make sales.
    But the biggest reason is because they're affiliated with Pete Smith of Pete Smith Surf Shop. They burned me when I was 20. I bought my first wet suit from them. It was a Bailey with legs lined with what looked like shag carpeting on the inside. The legs were coming apart after the first winter and I took it in for repairs in June. Oct came and my suit wasn't ready. the sales man said he'd trade for a new Bailey Licra plus. Space age technology that was warmer and less bulky. only had to pay 20 bucks difference in price. Got it and used it on a big day. I jumped off the pier and the suit split at the crotch and pit. I took it back and said I wanted my other one. He said it wasn't back yet but in the mean time, I was to sew up the tear and apply "Goop" to seal it. I did it, and after curing, the seam was sealed and flexible. BUT after being in cold salt water, the goop became brittle and was like having shards of glass glued to my pit and crotch. I went back and saw my suit on the rack. I brought both suits to the counter to swap out. the guy said, "I can't take it back because there's goop on the seams. Beat it"
    After that, everytime I needed a suit, I'd go there, find the most expensive one, and bring it to the counter. After they ring it up, I tell them to jam it and why." I always planned to throw a cinder block thru their window with a note "you deserve a brick today" but I was always in a rush getting in the water, and too satisfied after surfing to care.
    So, after I found out Pete was with freedom, I went in, found a beautiful wooden long board, $1500, took it to the counter, and after they rung it up,I told them why I wasn't buying it and to tell Pete to blow me.

  2. #82
    For what it's worth, I've known Shane at WRV for close to 20 years. He is not the most gregarious, "hey, how ya doing? How's the wife and kids?", type of guy. Sometimes I'm even lucky to get a "What's up?" out of him. He's not a bad guy though. I've seen him many times go out of his way for what I can tell is a tourist or some surfing newbie. He's worked there for what seems an eternity by surf shop standards, so he might be in need of some customer service refresher. Working anywhere gets stale after a certain time.

    As for Freedom, I get the vibe there that he got from WRV. They act like they're doing you a favor by trying to sell you their overpriced boards. No thanks dude, I don't need your sick, 5 fin bonzer that totally rips Malibu.
    Last edited by Losttsol; Sep 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Freedom. I avoid all business' using that word in it's title. Using an American tragedy to make sales.
    But the biggest reason is because they're affiliated with Pete Smith of Pete Smith Surf Shop. They burned me when I was 20. I bought my first wet suit from them. It was a Bailey with legs lined with what looked like shag carpeting on the inside. The legs were coming apart after the first winter and I took it in for repairs in June. Oct came and my suit wasn't ready. the sales man said he'd trade for a new Bailey Licra plus. Space age technology that was warmer and less bulky. only had to pay 20 bucks difference in price. Got it and used it on a big day. I jumped off the pier and the suit split at the crotch and pit. I took it back and said I wanted my other one. He said it wasn't back yet but in the mean time, I was to sew up the tear and apply "Goop" to seal it. I did it, and after curing, the seam was sealed and flexible. BUT after being in cold salt water, the goop became brittle and was like having shards of glass glued to my pit and crotch. I went back and saw my suit on the rack. I brought both suits to the counter to swap out. the guy said, "I can't take it back because there's goop on the seams. Beat it"
    After that, everytime I needed a suit, I'd go there, find the most expensive one, and bring it to the counter. After they ring it up, I tell them to jam it and why." I always planned to throw a cinder block thru their window with a note "you deserve a brick today" but I was always in a rush getting in the water, and too satisfied after surfing to care.
    So, after I found out Pete was with freedom, I went in, found a beautiful wooden long board, $1500, took it to the counter, and after they rung it up,I told them why I wasn't buying it and to tell Pete to blow me.
    You may be the only person I have ever heard trash Pete Smith. And I think you spent way too much effort in sticking it to him! Just don't go back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    As for Freedom, I get the vibe there that he got from WRV. They act like they're doing you a favor by trying to sell you their overpriced boards. No thanks dude, I don't need your sick, 5 fin bonzer that totally rips Malibu.
    I haven't really seen their customer service be good or bad really, just sort of "meh". But I can tell you, a bonzer is an ideal board for Virginia Beach most days. In case you haven't looked out the windows, our waves suck. Malibu may actually be better.

    I wouldn't really ride a bonzer though.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
    You may be the only person I have ever heard trash Pete Smith. And I think you spent way too much effort in sticking it to him! Just don't go back.


    I went back a lot. just never spent another dime there.
    Yeah, like you, a lot of people consider pete a god. I consider him a rip off azz wipe.
    There was an article in the paper about him and mentioned his email (or face book, I don't recall) So I contacted him, to let him know he wasn't forgotten. Surprisingly, no response.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    I went back a lot. just never spent another dime there.
    Yeah, like you, a lot of people consider pete a god. I consider him a rip off azz wipe.
    There was an article in the paper about him and mentioned his email (or face book, I don't recall) So I contacted him, to let him know he wasn't forgotten. Surprisingly, no response.
    HAHA, You hold quite the grudge huh! Funny stuff about the brick though.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    I went back a lot. just never spent another dime there.
    Yeah, like you, a lot of people consider pete a god. I consider him a rip off azz wipe.
    There was an article in the paper about him and mentioned his email (or face book, I don't recall) So I contacted him, to let him know he wasn't forgotten. Surprisingly, no response.
    At what point did I say I consider him a god?

    And why the hell would you waste time going back? Dude, you got a finite amount of time on the planet, why waste it on that!?

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    HAHA, You hold quite the grudge huh! Funny stuff about the brick though.
    Epic grudge!

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
    Epic grudge!
    Best way to settle these disputes is with a set of over-sized boxing gloves and a slip and slide surface

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Best way to settle these disputes is with a set of over-sized boxing gloves and a slip and slide surface
    I concur. I wish more people understood this.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Best way to settle these disputes is with a set of over-sized boxing gloves and a slip and slide surface
    I wish we would take this approach in our interactions with international politics.