LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,795

    Stiff Offshores vs. Light Onshore Wind Conditions

    Which do you prefer? I know it seems like a no brainer but was wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'm use to mostly onshore or N / S wind conditions, but occassionally we get treated to some offshore winds. The light offshore days aren't really what i'm referring to, i'm more talking about 15-20+mph offshores.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    offshore winds = bigger barrels... Hard to argue against that equation.

  3. #3
    offshore....crazy OFFSHORE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,416
    15-20 offshore is quite doable. 25-30 is getting pretty radical. The bigger the swell, the more offshores it can take. Gale force puts a cap on it for me. Light onshore is still fun... and I'll take onshore over sideshore any day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    15-20 offshore is quite doable. 25-30 is getting pretty radical. The bigger the swell, the more offshores it can take. Gale force puts a cap on it for me. Light onshore is still fun... and I'll take onshore over sideshore any day.
    this nails it. i don't understand the fascination a lot of surfers have now w/ onshore winds.

  6. #6
    On an east swell I'd rather have light onshore, but as long as there is some angle I'll take offshores.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    this nails it. i don't understand the fascination a lot of surfers have now w/ onshore winds.
    I think the light onshores/rampy conditions preferred for boosting and landing airs are gaining favor. Just a guess, if so another case of something good for 1% of surfers being adopted by the other 99%
    Last edited by scotty; Sep 11, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Off shore winds! Stand those b*tches up!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Flagler Beach, Fl
    Posts
    59
    I like offshore winds but when they get blowing to hard it will keep you from dropping in especially in chest high surf. I guess too much of anything can be bad. 20+ is too much in my opinion. You have to find a condo to block the resistance.

  10. #10
    I'm keen on offshore really agitates but after they get throwing out to hard it'll keep you from losing in particularly in chest muscles high surf. I guess too much of anything can be bad. 20+ is an excessive amount many people feel.