LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Stiff Offshores vs. Light Onshore Wind Conditions

Which do you prefer? I know it seems like a no brainer but was wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'm use to mostly onshore or N / S wind conditions, but occassionally we get treated to some offshore winds. The light offshore days aren't really what i'm referring to, i'm more talking about 15-20+mph offshores.

Images
    offshore winds = bigger barrels... Hard to argue against that equation.

offshore....crazy OFFSHORE

15-20 offshore is quite doable. 25-30 is getting pretty radical. The bigger the swell, the more offshores it can take. Gale force puts a cap on it for me. Light onshore is still fun... and I'll take onshore over sideshore any day.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    15-20 offshore is quite doable. 25-30 is getting pretty radical. The bigger the swell, the more offshores it can take. Gale force puts a cap on it for me. Light onshore is still fun... and I'll take onshore over sideshore any day.
    this nails it. i don't understand the fascination a lot of surfers have now w/ onshore winds.

On an east swell I'd rather have light onshore, but as long as there is some angle I'll take offshores.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    this nails it. i don't understand the fascination a lot of surfers have now w/ onshore winds.
    I think the light onshores/rampy conditions preferred for boosting and landing airs are gaining favor. Just a guess, if so another case of something good for 1% of surfers being adopted by the other 99%
    Last edited by scotty; Sep 11, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

Off shore winds! Stand those b*tches up!

I like offshore winds but when they get blowing to hard it will keep you from dropping in especially in chest high surf. I guess too much of anything can be bad. 20+ is too much in my opinion. You have to find a condo to block the resistance.

I'm keen on offshore really agitates but after they get throwing out to hard it'll keep you from losing in particularly in chest muscles high surf. I guess too much of anything can be bad. 20+ is an excessive amount many people feel.