LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    I always liked this guy's videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrM4iVPVX4
    That guy does a nice job. Obviously a pro... and that board looks new, so it's worth the extra effort. The only thing I do differently is confine the repair to a much smaller area around the ding. Squaring out the damaged area (he uses a router) is key, and not many people seem to do that around here.

Images
    Honestly man you should just get a new board. The peace of mind of having your surfboard in the best possible condition is priceless. You dont want to be 300 yards offshore and in big conditions and have your board taking on water. Just my opinion though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bharris View Post
    Honestly man you should just get a new board. The peace of mind of having your surfboard in the best possible condition is priceless. You dont want to be 300 yards offshore and in big conditions and have your board taking on water. Just my opinion though.
    Bahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bharris View Post
    Lol, a surfboard without dings (except for Coils) is like a contractor with all new tools. Sure it looks good, but is it gonna do the job? I'm always so afraid of a new board, that until it gets its first ding, I'm too careful with it. Better pull out of this wave, that one's closing out, don't ride it all the way into the rocks. Bam, once you patch that first ding, it's like a license to rip. Sh!1, who cares right, you can always fix 'em? Take off on every close-out, tuck in just a little deeper into that barrel, fukit. I figure every board I ride is one paddle out from being lawn art.

Boards aren't meant to be collected by Japanese business men or fat old fuchs who have never seen the sun rise or set from on top of a polyurethane cork. They don't belong hanging from walls. They're not made (except for Coils) to last, why try fooling yourself that they should? You don't need 20 or 40 of them, filling up a room in your house, half of which will never get a heel dent or see the ocean. They're meant to be ridden hard and put down wet. You just need one, it doesn't matter if it's all dinged up, sun yellowed, ugly as hell, spray painted pink and covered in Ron Jon stickers. It just has to be water tight, more or less. A fin or two helps a little.

Knowing how to fix their own boards was a skill that every surfer used to have. Very useful stuff back in the day. Specially if you're down at the endofthe road in Mazatlan with nothin but a quart of marine fiberglass and 1"x4'" gash on the bottom of your board from the reef. Doing a simple patch job like this should in no way compromise the "sea-worthiness" of the board. In fact, I think knowing that one has the skill to repair a ding like this would give one a far greater sense of peace of mind.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:19 AM.

Bharris I'll take all of your dinged boards if you want... So that way you can be worry free pm me