LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Laird

Quote Originally Posted by OC&SC-83 View Post
    DawnPatrolSUP: You gotta stop fighting this fight so hard... it's never going away. But respect.
    I hear you, hope it didn't come across as "fighting it" so much as just making more sense of the situation to those who only have a one sided perspective, meaning those who only have experience surfing with one type of equipment. I share many of the same concerns most of you have, but I choose to give each person the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Respect back at ya brah

Images
    I will say this. At the beach where I go in the early morning, there is a group of SUPs (usually 4 or 5) that I surf with congregating about a 1000 yards down the beach from where most of the prone surfers are. These guys are in there late 40's through 60's, and I would say each of them has at least 30 years surfing, some more than 50 years. I have learned a lot about surfing and surf etiquette from them (being I am the rookie) and appreciate them much. I think many of the younger surfers on this forum may come to appreciate the continued development of the SUP, as their shapes and performance continues to improve, and when the day comes when due to injury, "wear & tear", and/or age, "popping up" will present issues unfamiliar to youth, then they will have something to ride, continue to enjoy surfing, an maintain the stoke.

I think the bottom line issues are respect & safety, which the knowledge and application of etiquette would resolve.

Hi I am not Kelly Slater. If you have a problem with SUPers enjoying the ocean and doing something that is very challenging and rewarding for them then you need to re think why it is you go out surfing. If you come out of the water complaining about anything other than your own personal performance then you are the problem, actually if you come out the the water complaining then you should probably rethink your life. SUPing is not a real problem, ease up. If you aren't getting waves because of a SUP then you probably have a problem getting waves in the first place, not their problem. My advice for anyone who wants to complain about SUP again...

1. Get off the computer.
    2. Get active.
    3. Watch a surf video and observe what they do.
    4. Go surf.
    5. Realize that the only thing stopping you from getting any wave is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Ok so i've tried to not respond to this thread for obvious reasons, but after reading some of the responses i think i'll go ahead and weigh in on the subject from a perspective most on here do not have. Being a prone surfer for approx. 17yrs prior to picking up an SUP about a year and half ago
    that's cool you can actually pick that beast up. you must be burly.

Images
    Next up, a new type of Hawaiian outrigger canoe that can hold 2 or more 'surfers', with a better planing hull that can rip waves..
    ..working on a design now. We'll show the SUP's how to dominate a spot. What's next?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Paipa, alaia, body surfin’ and boardin’, wake surfin’, knee boarding, long boarding, short boarding, kite surfing, wind surfing, stand up paddlin’; which of these are not surfing, which of these are? Depending upon where I am or the conditions, I’ll go to some pretty desperate lengths to get some water time. Seems to me, they all seem to have one thing in common. They get me in the water and movin’ faster.
    ^This, I don't care what people ride as long as they can respect the lineup and the ocean. I think it's the trendiness of the whole thing that leaves that initial bad taste in the mouth. I was thinking about this thread yesterday chuckling to myself, you gotta give it to the OP, f**king hilarious, downright funny. I've yet to see an SUP'er with the trucker hat though, but I can tell you that when I do, I'll definitely have another little laugh, thanks OP.

My old man was part of the second generation of surfers in NY. Only a handfull of guys, even during the Gidget insanity, were surfing. He taught me how to surf. His knees went on him. Now, he has an SUP and when its 3 feet and glassy he goes out and catches waves and comes home with a look in his eyes like he was 12 years old again, full of salt and sand, and totally stoked. For the record, I understand what it means to be a waterman, and what it feels like to put your rail into a wave and fly down the line. I was certainly poking fun at the insane fad that SUP has become, and some of the hilarious pics above kind of hit that nail on the head (grandma with the live preserver is 'fridge worthy'). But like so many people who love the ocean have said - respect the ocean and everyone else in it. If you're on a potato chip, a long board, or an SUP, you better know how to control it and respect the line-up. Then, like a ton of different predatorial fish on a bait ball, everyone gets a turn and goes home with a belly full.

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    My old man was part of the second generation of surfers in NY. Only a handfull of guys, even during the Gidget insanity, were surfing. He taught me how to surf. His knees went on him. Now, he has an SUP and when its 3 feet and glassy he goes out and catches waves and comes home with a look in his eyes like he was 12 years old again, full of salt and sand, and totally stoked. For the record, I understand what it means to be a waterman, and what it feels like to put your rail into a wave and fly down the line. I was certainly poking fun at the insane fad that SUP has become, and some of the hilarious pics above kind of hit that nail on the head (grandma with the live preserver is 'fridge worthy'). But like so many people who love the ocean have said - respect the ocean and everyone else in it. If you're on a potato chip, a long board, or an SUP, you better know how to control it and respect the line-up. Then, like a ton of different predatorial fish on a bait ball, everyone gets a turn and goes home with a belly full.
    Way to bring it back around full circle. Glad your Pops is able to continue his stoke, it's something I hope I never lose.