LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just looking at the numbers, the Lost is very thin, very narrow, and likely has way more rocker... and all that makes catching waves harder. The comp boards I do have performance rocker, but maintain some thickness through the middle. None are under 18 wide. Check out the deck of the Lost. Is it fairly flat? A little dome to the deck, tapering into the same thickness and shape rail, will give you more volume for wave catching and maintain rail to rail sensitivity. A light glass job will keep the flex, and the extra foam will not add significant weight. The other thing to try is lower the entry rocker. Keep the flip in the first few inches, but lower the overall curve in the nose. The last thing to consider is the tail... added thickness, added width, and less kick will help you catch waves easier. But the tail on the Lost looks good.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

So LBcrew could you or anyone explain what exactly lightly glassed is and does

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyr2 View Post
    So LBcrew could you or anyone explain what exactly lightly glassed is and does
    I'm not a shaper so LBCrew or others will probably have a more accurate answer than me. A lot of pros prefer light glass jobs for an all around lighter board - quicker response, easy to whip around and boost airs on. The downfall is a much less durable board. The pros don't care since they get a new board about every one or two weeks, but for the average surfer a light glass wont make much of a difference other than easier to ding or break.

The actual glass schedule varies for different kinds of boards. LBCrew can be more specific, but longboards and retro type boards have a heavier glass job (maybe two layers of 6oz on the deck and one on the bottom or two layers of 4oz on the bottom) while shortboards have a lighter glass job (two 4oz layers on the deck and one layer of 6oz or one layer of 4oz on the bottom). The combinations vary for different shapers and boards. The ultra light glass jobs are usually two layers of 4oz on the deck (making it 8oz total) and one 4oz layer on the bottom. The board will be super light weight and have a lot of flex but will ding very easily.

Again, I'm not a shaper so others can probably answer better. I've had some retro boards and longboards that are glassed super heavy and also some of those "ultralight" glass jobs. I don't mind the heavy ones but the light glass jobs are just way too weak for me. I like my boards to last and don't want to have to fix dings every week just for a lighter board.

What's the volume on the lost? Should be written with the dims. Does the pod paddle the best?

Also when u say u chose te wrong board, why are you saying that? Paddling? Wave catching, bogging turns, tail washing out?

Whats your skill level?

Standard glass job over standard density PU is 2x4oz deck and single 4oz bottom, all E glass. Comp boards can be single 6 deck or single 4 with foot patches, and only ever have sanded hotcoats, and no fill coat. Flex can be tweaked with the type of glass... different weaves have different flex characteristics and strength advantages. The type of core material matters, too, with different density foams making considerable differences in finished weight, and the glass job might be adjusted to add strength in some areas and not others.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 16, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

Matt does a single S or 1 4oz + 3/4 4oz deck and single 4 E bottom either way

You would see the 1 + 3/4oz if that was your glassing schedule. I doubt he used the team blank for u as it would be clearly specified and would be written on your board. If it was just a standard weight blank it prolly just says arc.

Thank you for explaining that too me.