LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    I'm assuming you'll want skaters and rollerbladers to get along next. How about bloods and crips?
    Im reffering to the ocean...How is bloods and crips relevant in any shape to surfing.... that was just a stupid referance.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Drop in on me once, I don't say anything--just buzz by you with inches to spare on the next wave while you are paddling out.

Drop in on me twice, I say something.... Nice and civilized.

Drop in on me three times and I will hassle the ever-living chit out of you. You usually get out of the water by this point because there are only a hand full of people who can out-paddle me--and you're not one of them. Plus I've probably yanked your leash a couple times by this point.

If you paddle out, are courteous and friendly yet very much a beginner--I will give you tips, call you into waves and possibly even block for you a couple times depending on how crowded it is.

In short, what goes around comes around. No need for a "group hug" but also no need to be a 8=========D. Remember, NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING!

Pretty much what I do too.

Images
    We're all out there for the same reason, we just enjoy waves in different ways. Some spongers can and do stand up surf. The spot I was at last Sunday is far from the ideal stand up wave...beachbreak, heavy barrels, steep drops. 85% of the stand up guys were eating **** and going over the falls, while most of the spongers were making it and getting pitted. Of the 3 stand up guys that stood out, I hooted for them every time they pulled in, and I missed several waves b/c I pulled back for standup guys that were probly gonna miss the wave or eat more **** if they actually caught it. My point: a/we should all get along; b/I think most of this hostility is limited to the internet; c/ I think a more appropriate analogy would be like comparing Jujitsu to Muay Thai, not the whole skiing snowboarding thing. Back to work.

drop in on me and I keep going. Screaming and shouting the whole way. If we collide, I give you the bunker speech from point break after we resurface. Usually said kook is creaped out and goes away for a while. Go back to the valley, man.

The last three days I've surfed 3 different breaks. Each time it wasn't crowed but there were Logs, shorts, Boogers, and an SUP. No issues. Everybody knew what they were doing and were doing it right. The SUP kept his distance and the Booger made sure he was not sitting right in front of us on the inside. All had their fair share of waves. Maybe no one was out because everyone has been on the internet debating peace and love versus being a big bad meanie in the line up yet again.
    As EROCK and Pump already stated, if you do not know what you are doing, thus becoming a DANGER to others and yourself, you need to be told (politely at first) what you are doing wrong. if you do not take this advice, that's when confrontations occur. It's a shame it gets to that point sometimes, but it is reality.

honest question, don't mean to flame

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Is it the alls right with the world attitude that invites people I have never seen to paddleout and sit between a group of obvious locals and friends at their home break? If so I would rather have the hate and tension in the line up that spooks outsiders enough that they give us space. Wtf I had to sit with more new faces today than I have seen in years.
    if you travel, don't you think that's what locals of the break you're traveling to think? not sure why it gets you all bent....if people are dropping in or generally acting like pricks, it's one thing. if people are being cordial, don't see what the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    I'm assuming you'll want skaters and rollerbladers to get along next. How about bloods and crips?
    Rollerbladers Dominate.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    drop in on me and I keep going. Screaming and shouting the whole way. If we collide, I give you the bunker speech from point break after we resurface. Usually said kook is creaped out and goes away for a while. Go back to the valley, man.
    "Ok, I know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfin the break and all that. Right?"

"Nope."

"That would be a waste of time. We're just gonna f*** you up."

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    We're all out there for the same reason, we just enjoy waves in different ways. Some spongers can and do stand up surf. The spot I was at last Sunday is far from the ideal stand up wave...beachbreak, heavy barrels, steep drops. 85% of the stand up guys were eating **** and going over the falls, while most of the spongers were making it and getting pitted. Of the 3 stand up guys that stood out, I hooted for them every time they pulled in, and I missed several waves b/c I pulled back for standup guys that were probly gonna miss the wave or eat more **** if they actually caught it. My point: a/we should all get along; b/I think most of this hostility is limited to the internet; c/ I think a more appropriate analogy would be like comparing Jujitsu to Muay Thai, not the whole skiing snowboarding thing. Back to work.
    Your right to have a good time when it comes into conflict with someone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Is it the alls right with the world attitude that invites people I have never seen to paddleout and sit between a group of obvious locals and friends at their home break?
    Quote Originally Posted by acg116 View Post
    if you travel, don't you think that's what locals of the break you're traveling to think?
    Its a valid question and the answer is yes - Zippy is right. i wouldnt travel to some place new and sit right in a pack of local friends who know each other and obviously surf that spot all the time. Would you go to a public park and sit in the middle of a family picnic just because that shady spot looked a bit nicer than the empty shade under the other tree? Do you have the right to? Sure. But why do it?