LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

aloha?

Quote Originally Posted by Pursuitofhappiness View Post
    I love your points and share your sentiment. The people I know in west coast surfing have far more of this mentality. They have a pretty solid code of etiqutte but seem to handle offenders in a much more 'aloha' manner. To quote San Diego legend Skip Frye: Share a wave. Hoot a kook!!! http://www.tourmalinememorial.com/Skipfrye.htm
    Aloha?

You've never been to Hawaii.

that's fair

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    No ones bent here. Whether your a prick or jesus himself you don't belong in the middle of a group of my friends with 20 miles of beach break to choose from. I'm not a big traveller but when I do I take a lessor wave on the fringes and avoid paddling into the middle of a group of people that clearly have their own dynamic worked out, it's common courtesy IMO .
    was only trying to distinguish between the "locals only" mentality vs. the situation you described.

got dropped in on yesterday in some really crappy surf in southern monmouth county.

grabbed the kids board as he dropped in and flipped him off it.

spent the rest of my session 5 feet away from him making sure anything he turned to catch had me on it too.

street justice.

I had just caught a wave and had turned back in the direction of the line-up for another paddle, when some 14, maybe 15 year old girl on some 7' long swallow tail, couldn’t handle the little rip, took a diagonal trajectory and ended up about 10’-15’ feet directly in front of me. She hadn’t turned around once to see what was behind her. I saw her fail miserably when she tried to duck dive under a little 2 or 3’ wave. She just didn’t push down with her feet or knees enough. Saw the tail end of the board pop-up in the white wash and knew she was coming right at me and I knew I wouldn’t have time to get out of her way. Turtled over and kept the boards between us. Got my hand smashed and a board I shaped and glassed took a fin to the rail. Nice ding that I’m letting dry out. Poor kid came up with a mortified look in her eyes saying "I'm so sorry". I laughed and said, “don’t worry about it, boards don’t look right if they don’t have some dings. Next time when you duck dive, push down with your feet.” Poor kid didn’t stand up on a single wave. Guess she’s still learning. Stayed out another hour and had some great rides. Don’t sweat the little sh!1 and kids are ignorant. The examples we set for them is how they’ll treat others. If the other surfer sucks or is some little kid, why scare the tar out of ‘em?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 17, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    No ones bent here. Whether your a prick or jesus himself you don't belong in the middle of a group of my friends with 20 miles of beach break to choose from. I'm not a big traveller but when I do I take a lessor wave on the fringes and avoid paddling into the middle of a group of people that clearly have their own dynamic worked out, it's common courtesy IMO .
    Yeah I constantly shift around especially when the group is better than me even at my local spot. There is always a line thats less better away from the really skilled guys. I almost always apologize even if its not my fault. Get good vibes that way. Only time im calling people on stuff is when they snake waves. Hate those jerks.

ZaGaffer- Love that reaction, as I am sure the girl was petrified. With daughters in the water, I have found most people have been very cool when the girls have found themselves in the wrong spot or in the way from time to time. I have been teaching them the "rules" of surfing, but sometimes you just get stuck in the wrong spot. As for me, I guess I have mellowed a bit with age, and appreciate the opportunity to get in the water as much as possible. I try to leave the stink eye in the car. As long as people don't mistake kindness for weakness, we're all good.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I had just caught a wave and had turned back in the direction of the line-up for another paddle, when some 14, maybe 15 year old girl on some 7' long swallow tail, couldn’t handle the little rip, took a diagonal trajectory and ended up about 10’-15’ feet directly in front of me. She hadn’t turned around once to see what was behind her. I saw her fail miserably when she tried to duck dive under a little 2 or 3’ wave. She just didn’t push down with her feet or knees enough. Saw the tail end of the board pop-up in the white wash and knew she was coming right at me and I knew I wouldn’t have time to get out of her way. Turtled over and kept the boards between us. Got my hand smashed and a board I shaped and glassed took a fin to the rail. Nice ding that I’m letting dry out. Poor kid came up with a mortified look in her eyes saying "I'm so sorry". I laughed and said, “don’t worry about it, boards don’t look right if they don’t have some dings. Next time when you duck dive, push down with your feet.” Poor kid didn’t stand up on a single wave. Guess she’s still learning. Stayed out another hour and had some great rides. Don’t sweat the little sh!1 and kids are ignorant. The examples we set for them is how they’ll treat others. If the other surfer sucks or is some little kid, why scare the tar out of ‘em?
    awesome example man wish more ppl had patience like yourself

Having been there is of no consequence. Learning to surf the from one of the top three 2009 Hawaiian Longboard surfers, you get schooled in 'aloha." I certainly plan on going there someday. Wanna come?
    Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    Aloha?

You've never been to Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Pursuitofhappiness View Post
    Having been there is of no consequence. Learning to surf the from one of the top three 2009 Hawaiian Longboard surfers, you get schooled in 'aloha." I certainly plan on going there someday. Wanna come?

I think you are going to have a very rude awakening when you get there and hit the water.

"Stop the hate and just love one another"...reading this makes me throw up a little...

This is isually because only inland goobers B-Board...It's easy to learn and easy to catch waves with a kick or two...They then drop in on everyone and always seem to be in the way...That's why they irritate people.