LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPREME View Post
    the 100 percent spot on one so i don't waste time or gas...
    i love the un-forecasted swell. when you check the beach for no particular reason and "hey, there's waves!".
    like finding money on the ground, only better.

Today 11 am to 2 pm Monmouth county lefts were rockin!!! Can't complain about the weather too, top day in my book for 2012. "it was a good day to be alive"

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    so, would you rather have a forecast that is 100% spot on, meaning no surprises whatsoever, or would you rather have a forecast that is pretty good but occasionally misses...which means that every now and then, you get waves you weren't expecting?
    100%... That was a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by marksharky View Post
    Today 11 am to 2 pm Monmouth county lefts were rockin!!! ...top day in my book for 2012. "it was a good day to be alive"
    That's how I felt Sunday... Had to get out of town for a different view. Drove an hour and a half to score near perfect surf... all day. The weather was fantastic. The vibe was chill. The water was warm. The waves were beautiful. Dolphins outnumbered the surfers... On the drive home I thought, "this was for SURE one of the best days of the year so far." It was soooo gooood.

so, would you rather have a forecast that is 100% spot on, meaning no surprises whatsoever, or would you rather have a forecast that is pretty good but occasionally misses...which means that every now and then, you get waves you weren't expecting?
    idsmashh called this a "stupid" question.

Well, idsmashh and SUPREME must really love kook'n out with 100 of their best friends. What ever happened to DIY or at least "trust and verify"? Has technology been this successful making worthless people unwilling to do things for themselves? These people call themselves "surfers" and "watermen"....... as long as the computer or i-gadget tells them it's ok to go get wet. It's like "boaters" I see who have no compass on their boat..... because they got an electronic GPS unit. At least there's Seatow for idiot boaters.....

Hanna, I prefer the fairly accurate forecast with plenty of surprises. I would also like to see all the surf cams shot out with bbguns. But, I'm born and bred WB, so all I need to know is what the buoy is saying and what the wind is like to have a pretty accurate idea of what the waves will be like in the entirety of Onslow Bay. But, we're getting "old" and have that rustic "manual" way about us. Relics we will be sooner than later--I like peddling my own bike.

Micha, your site is great and I appreciate everything you have done with it.... especially bringing back the little green man mascot.

I was out Sun and Mon....just north of idsmashh.....nobody but me most of the day......huge dolphin pod of at least 25 on Sun.....loons in the surf.....head high evry 15/20 minutes.......awesome.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    idsmashh called this a "stupid" question.

Well, idsmashh and SUPREME must really love kook'n out with 100 of their best friends. What ever happened to DIY or at least "trust and verify"? Has technology been this successful making worthless people unwilling to do things for themselves? These people call themselves "surfers" and "watermen"....... as long as the computer or i-gadget tells them it's ok to go get wet. It's like "boaters" I see who have no compass on their boat..... because they got an electronic GPS unit. At least there's Seatow for idiot boaters.....

Hanna, I prefer the fairly accurate forecast with plenty of surprises. I would also like to see all the surf cams shot out with bbguns. But, I'm born and bred WB, so all I need to know is what the buoy is saying and what the wind is like to have a pretty accurate idea of what the waves will be like in the entirety of Onslow Bay. But, we're getting "old" and have that rustic "manual" way about us. Relics we will be sooner than later--I like peddling my own bike.

Micha, your site is great and I appreciate everything you have done with it.... especially bringing back the little green man mascot.
    yup, some people need it all laid out for them. i like a little uncertainty and the thrill of discovery that comes with the surprise swell.

in baseball, it's very feasible now to set up a series of optical sensors around home plate that would completely define the strike zone and eliminate any ambiguity in the call of ball or strike - basically removing the human element and eliminating the home base umpire. but does any baseball fan really want that?

i think this is a great site and invaluable part of my surfing lifestyle... but may it never get so accurate that it eliminates the value of walking up to the beach and checking it with my own two eyes.

yup, some people need it all laid out for them. i like a little uncertainty and the thrill of discovery that comes with the surprise swell.

in baseball, it's very feasible now to set up a series of optical sensors around home plate that would completely define the strike zone and eliminate any ambiguity in the call of ball or strike - basically removing the human element and eliminating the home base umpire. but does any baseball fan really want that?

i think this is a great site and invaluable part of my surfing lifestyle... but may it never get so accurate that it eliminates the value of walking up to the beach and checking it with my own two eyes.
    Try living someplace that has no SI forecast... It's just like the old days!

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Try living someplace that has no SI forecast... It's just like the old days!
    Don't you think SI OWES you a very accurate one?

Yesterday was one of those days where everything seemed to have a mellow, perfect vibe in South Jerz. I had the privilege of sharing my old local break with one other guy who just so happened to be Brian Bowen. He is one of the most laid-back, stylish longboarders I have ever seen (and I've seen Joel T.) REALLY nice guy to boot. I don't longboard yet (at age 50 its right around the corner) but watching that guy on the waves we had yesterday was watching art on water. I had some nice lefts myself with my 77 year old dad watching. Perfect weather. Post session She-Crab soup at the Dville Inn. Can't think of a better Monday in my memory.