LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: winter surfing

I have never used hot water at the beach in NY.....never really needed to. Just suit up and go. Make sure you have the cajones to take a dozen on the head.

my advice is spend the extra $$s on a high quality suit like a xcel drylock or patagonia. in maine a 6/4 with an attached hood. 7 mil boots and gloves. and make sure that the suit fits well. buy a cheap or poor fitting suit and you will regret it when the water is in the 30s...

Ya i second what surfsolo said. I've never used hot water, although it sounds like a good idea. I just suit up at home and don't take it off until I'm back home under a hot shower. I only have an excel 5/4 so it's pretty tough to get out there in january/february when the air is below freezing, but otherwise it's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I wear straight mittens instead of gloves with fingers and never have issues with cold hands. Also, i tend to go with the longboard more often than not just to keep my body out of the water.

The last thing I'll say is good for you for making the plunge. Winter surfing is epic and surfing year-round will really help your surfing progress.

By the way, I'm from mass so I can relate to the cold you're going to be dealing with a little better than the guys down in NY/NJ.

http://www.bullyssurf.com/surf-p/hot-water-bottle-htank

I love mine

and earplugs are a must
    Last edited by Bronze Whaler; Sep 24, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    You might also want to invest in an ice axe.
    Nice one man

Go out with friends, it makes cold water surfing much more fun.

Hey thanks a lot you guys great stuff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Ya i second what surfsolo said. I've never used hot water, although it sounds like a good idea. I just suit up at home and don't take it off until I'm back home under a hot shower. I only have an excel 5/4 so it's pretty tough to get out there in january/february when the air is below freezing, but otherwise it's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I wear straight mittens instead of gloves with fingers and never have issues with cold hands. Also, i tend to go with the longboard more often than not just to keep my body out of the water.

The last thing I'll say is good for you for making the plunge. Winter surfing is epic and surfing year-round will really help your surfing progress.

By the way, I'm from mass so I can relate to the cold you're going to be dealing with a little better than the guys down in NY/NJ.
    right right

Quote Originally Posted by 15stwr View Post
    my advice is spend the extra $$s on a high quality suit like a xcel drylock or patagonia. in maine a 6/4 with an attached hood. 7 mil boots and gloves. and make sure that the suit fits well. buy a cheap or poor fitting suit and you will regret it when the water is in the 30s...
    Good points.What is the best wetsuit I should buy that has the best balance of keeping me warm/ moderately easy to paddle against. Besides these 2 suits. Patagonia will shank my wallet but are they worth it? tx.

Yo dude, I'm from cape cod massachusetts, so I know what it's like. I've got a 6/5/4 with a hood, 7 mil boots, 5 mil gloves. This suit is well warm enough, but just make sure you do all the usual things, booties and gloves both tucked in well to your suit, hood snug, and when you duck dive, make sure you keep your head down so the minimum amount of water rushes into your suit. The suit is definitely warm enough, it's the wind that makes you cold, the water is actually your friend in this situation. Also, some people do vaseline on the face to put a layer between the skin and cold. If you do this, make sure you keep the vaseline off your wetsuit, as it's not good for the material. This'll be my third winter surfing, it's a blast dude, have a good time. Also, if there is a swell, definitely go out in the snow. It's fun as ****