LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sal Masekela / Slater Interview

http://www.redbullsignatureseries.co...w-kelly-slater

Interesting interview. I'm surprised he didn't mention the ISA when talking about non-sponsor driven pro surfing organizations.

Discuss....

Sal is the king of poseurs. cant stand that guy.

No arguments there, but he's still way better than Joe Turpel.

Did Sal used to work for MTV or Channel 1? He looks familiar

Images
    interesting topics...that there might be toxins in sunblock never even occurred to me.

slater lost me when he was best man at Pam's dogs 'wedding'.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Sal is the king of poseurs. cant stand that guy.
    I always wondered if I was alone in this opinion. What really pissed me off was when, as played in the Reef Mixed Tape, at the awards ceremony he spewed all that racial BS about Bobby Martinez carrying everybody (non-white) on his back after his "first year on this damn tour"

Images
    slater seems like a legit guy. never met him but he seems fairly normal and intellegent

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    interesting topics...that there might be toxins in sunblock never even occurred to me.
    Hanna, just 'cause I'm obtuse and have mild Asperger's (which helps when programming, but often makes social situations awkward), are you being sarcastic? I haven't watched the interview 'cause our Corp Firewall blocks streaming video, which is another reason I don't follow pro-surfing.

There are all sorts of natural sunscreens, without carcinogens. The Mrs. uses ‘em on the kids and they don’t get burnt. I know they cost and arm and a leg, but they work. I have her just buy the cheap generic stuff for myself.

I use Watermen's.

I actually posted to see everyones thoughts on what jimmyslade had to say about the industry's involvement in creating professional surfing as we know it. There have been quite a few threads about X surf company, their influence on the culture, how they bring "kooks" to the sport in droves, etc. etc. It seemed to me that he was trying to say that it has actually held the sport back from developing on its own as most other professional sports have.
    He also mentioned that there is no organization in pro surfing that is not based in the industry. I take exception to that because I thought that's what the ISA is all about.
    Bottom line, I think he was alluding to the fact that things are not going so hot with the ASP behind closed doors, from the fans to the surfers and everyone in between. The writing may already be on the wall and the ASP's days of influence may, in fact, be numbered. I've heard rumors of a "rouge tour" for a couple years now. They are becoming louder.
    So, what does everyone think in regard to the survivability of pro surfing if the current, industry-lead ASP organization ceased to exist?

zaGaffer: Heats on demand, my man. I don't usually watch more than an hour or so of any day of live competition, depending on the time zone of the comp, day of the week and my work load (which has been smothering me since I got back from PR--price you have to pay). For instance, the Quik Pro France is coming up in a week or so. You can go to the comp's site from last year and watch every single heat in it's entirety.
    Last edited by Erock; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Writing, not righting....