LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing webcast on TV

anyone know how to stream webcasts through your tv? I've tried several times without much luck. im trying to watch the WT events on my TV instead of having to watch them on the computer screen. I have a mac computer and a samsung tv. i bought some cables from best buy before and hooked them up and nothing.....after doing some research, they dont seem to work with samsung tv's. what about apple tv? or any other suggestions

does you're video card have a video "out" port? that would be the easiest way and most modern video cards have this option... I think its for gamers to be able to play games on their big tv screens.

I can stream video from my IPAD to my Apple TV....just click on the settings and pick the "airplay" option.

I haven't been a kore Apple user since the IIC (64KB in 84 was some hot sheet), so I'm not gonna be able to help too much. Your Samsung should have at least an S-Video input on it. It might also have an S-VGA input. I don't know about what outputs you have on your Mac (sorry, the only Macs I've used in the last couple of years where VM hosted homebrews on intel chipset PCs), but if it doesn't have one of those two, I'd be surprised. When you say “cables” what do you mean specifically, RCA, HDMI, DVI, SVGA, S-Video? 2nd question, what kind of Mac? I know there are kits where you can go from a Mac output to RCA inputs, that will pretty much work on anything. Well, until RCA is phased out.

Apple TV might be your best bet. HDMI outputs (bogus 720 though), I think it has a fire wire input, so potentially you could go from your Mac to your Apple TV to your Samsung. If you have an OS 5.1 or later device with wifi (iPod, iPhone, iPad, iDildo), you can actually use airplay to stream from that device to the Apple TV and then hard wire to your TV. You could actually jail break the Apple TV and load a browser right on it. I’ve thought about hacking one up, but I have too many other projects these days and it would just sit gathering dust afterwards.

Macs, man they don’t make it easy to anything that a PC can do on the fly. Only reason I know anything about ‘em is cause everybody’s got ‘em. I have a Lenovo desktop that I use as a media center and run a DVI out to HDMI in right to my TV. Simple as pie. I load up any OS I want with VM. Talks to my xbox, talks to all my Dell laptops, I host an FTP site on it that I can grab movies and mp3s off it whenever or where ever I want. Seriously, Android and PCs, they’re not for everyone, but they aren’t the pain in the arse that Apple is. T1 pentalobe screws. That’s all I got to say.

I will say this about Apple products, since I bought my wife an iPad for Christmas, I haven’t had to restore her laptop once, something I did 3 times last year all because of Facebook (why I don’t use Facebook). Also, my 21 month old daughter can use the thing liked a pro. They are great for infants.

Seriously though, if you’re gonna go drop a bill plus tax on an Apple TV, why not just drop 100-150$ on a PC and use that as a media center instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    does you're video card have a video "out" port? that would be the easiest way and most modern video cards have this option... I think its for gamers to be able to play games on their big tv screens.
    Ha, ha I saw this right before I posted this. Macs, except for the really high end ones, have onboard graphic chipsets. No graphics cards. Sucks huh? Why gamers don’t use them.

zaGaffer... who the heck uses apple computers except hipsters and kooks??? lol... not but seriously.

The other thing... if you have a wireless router you might be able to stream it to your tv, but you will need the component that hooks to your tv for this to work. I know my router has this wireless ability... its a netgear.

Buy a MacBook, Get a DV to VGA cable

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    zaGaffer... who the heck uses apple computers except hipsters and kooks??? lol... not but seriously.

The other thing... if you have a wireless router you might be able to stream it to your tv, but you will need the component that hooks to your tv for this to work. I know my router has this wireless ability... its a netgear.
    Video and sounds editors with some serious change to dump for high end Mac systems and who don't want to build or pay for a homebrew system. People who are afraid of getting viruses on PCs, though there are some great white papers on Mac Malware though, tilting point type stuff; so that argument is almost out the window. Wazniak the great.

This would work, but only with an AppleTV. Closed system, kno wht I mean Verne?

Images
    OP: Please post the following info and I'm sure someone in the audience will have an answer:
    1. Apple Computer Model w/ a list of video output options (i.e., VGA, HDMI, S-Video)
    2. The operating system (i.e OS 10, etc.)
    3. The TV model number (so that the video input possibilities can be determined)

As the zaGaffer stated, this would be easy with a PC. With my Laptop, I have the option of plugging either HDMI (better as you get better quality + sound) or VGA into my TV, and then either running it in where my laptop screen appears (a copy) on my TV, or in multi-screen, where I have it in a "dual monitor" mode. I would think an Apple would support this as it is key to doing PowerPoint type presentations with projectors and such. Of course, hopefully your Apple is of recent vintage and not from antiquity.

Images
    I just asked a Mac forum if I should use a thruster or quad set up on a medium period chest high swell.

They didn't know. Why do you pose a computer compatability question on a surfing forum based on what you're watching?

Did you ask the same question to the local animal shelter because you like watching funny cat videos?

Barry Bonds...in or out of the hall of fame?...I'll hang up and listen for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    I just asked a Mac forum if I should use a thruster or quad set up on a medium period chest high swell.

They didn't know. Why do you pose a computer compatability question on a surfing forum based on what you're watching?

Did you ask the same question to the local animal shelter because you like watching funny cat videos?