LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    6 Dollar gas = Empty Lineups?

    Will you still drive over an hour to the beach if/when gas goes to 6 dollars, plus?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,265
    Obama Care will give me a ride....

  3. #3
    Obama will pay for my gas

  4. #4
    And he will make artificial reefs and make clean waves 5-8 every day every tide.

  5. #5
    US economy can't handle $4+ gas.

    The real risk to loss of accessible gasoline for most US drivers is production shut-in leading to physical shortages. Government will respond with rationing. This production shut-in is due to the fact that oil extraction costs worldwide are relentlessly increasing. This is because, as with all resources extracted from the earth's crust, humans will always take the easiest-to-get and highest quality resources first. It costs more today to produce oil than yesterday and will cost even more tomorrow. This trend is indisputable and has been going on since Spindletop peaked (and arguable all the way back to Titusville, PA). Our industrial civilization is is reaching the point now where oil consumers (businesses, individual car drivers, etc.) can't afford to pay the oil producing enterprises what they need to cover their costs to get finished petroleum products to market.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    bolsa chica SB, Huntington Beach,CA
    Posts
    319
    Images
    1

    uhh price check please?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspec View Post
    US economy can't handle $4+ gas.

    Our industrial civilization is is reaching the point now where oil consumers (businesses, individual car drivers, etc.) can't afford to pay the oil producing enterprises what they need to cover their costs to get finished petroleum products to market.
    cover their COSTS? wow. do a little research. these starving oil companies to which you refer have made more in PROFITS in this fuel-starved economy THAN ANY COMPANY IN HISTORY. stop drinking the oil-spiked koolaid man. it's about them convincing YOU that they are doing you a favor as they screw you royally and put up roadblocks through legislation/lobbying to keep us from transitioning to other forms of energy (both parties take HUGE dollars form energy comps). in europe, where fuel has been at 2-4 euros a LITER for years they have extensive public works of solar and geothermal power, amongst others. they are doing what they can with what they have, depending on resources and topography. of course, if things get really bad, romney will always be happy to strap you and your board the the roof of one of his caddys

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    229
    Antybody noticed how expensive food is lately? Definitely an effect of high fuel prices. Farm equipment and delivery vehicles don't run on fairy dust. I get heart palpitations when I head up to the checkout line at the old Piggly Wiggly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Antybody noticed how expensive food is lately? Definitely an effect of high fuel prices. Farm equipment and delivery vehicles don't run on fairy dust.
    Kind of off topic, but... another good reason to buy locally grown. Less than one tenth of one percent of every dollar spent on food goes to the farmer when food is transported across the country... or even to other countries. And all those lost fuel resources turn into air and water pollution. AND it decreases the shelf life of the product, resulting in more waste and less return. Keep in mind that food does not get distributed based on need. Food goes to where the money is.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Kind of off topic, but... another good reason to buy locally grown. Less than one tenth of one percent of every dollar spent on food goes to the farmer when food is transported across the country... or even to other countries. And all those lost fuel resources turn into air and water pollution. AND it decreases the shelf life of the product, resulting in more waste and less return. Keep in mind that food does not get distributed based on need. Food goes to where the money is.
    I think that gas prices will thin out the lineups for people traveling longer distances.

    As far as your point about food, I think that buying local is the best way as you say. I saw a documentary about food in this country and how farms are now run by corporations. The local farmer doesn't really exist anymore. It sucks. They showed you that buying local is a great option and it's not more expensive. They have co-ops available with local farms. They will bring fresh fruit, vegetables, etc directly to your home. Here in the Northeast, you get this fresh produce based on the season. You will still get produce in the winter but it's not your typical produce. It was interesting because each season brought different types of food to your door. Then, you based your recipes around that seasonal food. Its how people ate hundreds of years ago. Fresh meat, fresh fish and fresh produce. Now, we just eat hormone injected meat, fish that's days old from transportation and genetically modified produce. People will say it's great because they can eat the same produce from other parts of the world even in winter but you pay a price for it. People in this country have way too many choices with this food instead of taking the more simple healthy method. I shouldn't talk though because I haven't gotten my ass to start using a local co-op. I definitely want to try it but have been slacking. I need to find out more about it in this area.
    Last edited by motivated2surf; Sep 28, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Capo Beach
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The biggest source of income for uncle sam is petrol. It's funding their current f*ckhead war. Within a year we could drastically reduce our petrol usage but that would drastically reduce unky sams income. Not happening!
    What? It's not even close to the biggest revenue source for the government (around $40B out of about $2 trillion). Individual income taxes account for nearly 50% of government revenue.

    Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    cover their COSTS? wow. do a little research. these starving oil companies to which you refer have made more in PROFITS in this fuel-starved economy THAN ANY COMPANY IN HISTORY. stop drinking the oil-spiked koolaid man.
    Profit volume is different than profit margin. Oil companies earn around $0.08 for every dollar of oil they sell. Does that seem extremely high? Fuel demand has increased which has increased oil companies' absolute profits (in $), but their margins are not that high. Meanwhile, Apple earns about $0.25 for every dollar of sales. Why doesn't anybody complain about their high profits?