LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    the ethanol mandate for gas has a big impact on food prices too.

On thing about documentaries is that they always have an agenda and always present the absolute worse case. Something to keep in mind.

Obama is going to pay for my food, gas, and create more storms with epic waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    Obama is going to pay for my food, gas, and create more storms with epic waves.
    Don't forget the free cell phone.

Images
    locally grown stuff around here is crazy expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The biggest source of income for uncle sam is petrol. It's funding their current f*ckhead war. Within a year we could drastically reduce our petrol usage but that would drastically reduce unky sams income. Not happening!
    What? It's not even close to the biggest revenue source for the government (around $40B out of about $2 trillion). Individual income taxes account for nearly 50% of government revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    cover their COSTS? wow. do a little research. these starving oil companies to which you refer have made more in PROFITS in this fuel-starved economy THAN ANY COMPANY IN HISTORY. stop drinking the oil-spiked koolaid man.
    Profit volume is different than profit margin. Oil companies earn around $0.08 for every dollar of oil they sell. Does that seem extremely high? Fuel demand has increased which has increased oil companies' absolute profits (in $), but their margins are not that high. Meanwhile, Apple earns about $0.25 for every dollar of sales. Why doesn't anybody complain about their high profits?

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    Meanwhile, Apple earns about $0.25 for every dollar of sales. Why doesn't anybody complain about their high profits?
    By the time this thread reaches 20 pages i'm sure someone will.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    By the time this thread reaches 20 pages i'm sure someone will.
    farmers make too much money...the govt should start taxing them more

lol

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    ^

I know back in VB you could get it from the Farmer's Market. We used to get our tomatoes that way, but you're limited with what you can get. In a way it can be discouraging, after making the extra effort to get 20% of your food from locally grown sources, and the other 80% you have to get from the store anyways.

I haven't found one in Florida yet, but I know there are more options in the Northeast, and obviously in the West coast
    http://www.localharvest.org/
    this can help you find CSA's and farmers markets near you.
    good resturants will use local produce too. you can ask the staff there.
    at least in florida you can be pretty sure most of your fish is locally caught yeah?

and if you have space you can allways grow your own....tomatoes

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Don't forget the free cell phone.
    Can you use it to call for help when under seige in a "spontaneous demonstration"?

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    farmers make too much money...the govt should start taxing them more

lol
    Not sure if this sarcasm or not. But many farmers do very well. A combination of pricing and complex insurance policies (provided by the govt) makes for a very good living. Don't let the jeans fool and flannels fool you, between land values and decent profit margins, especially for small organic farms that supply local restaurants. Don't get me wrong I love it. My wife and I have been members of a CSA since we moved back to Philly 8 years ago. It's about quality and knowing where your food comes from, not price. And btw $6 gas won't stop me from driving to surf. I can still take the train from Philly, if I can't stomach high gas prices. But money is not an issue, my wife's trust fund keeps us just fine. Which hopefully all the Obama haters on this site will actually vote for romney and maybe our capital gains will be lower next year. I can't stomach voting for the guy, but him winning would probably save us 25K in taxes if he pushes his tax reform through congress.