LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 fins for NJ

Hybrid View

5 fins for NJ

I'm currently in the market for a new board and I'm very interested in a 5 fin board that will work well for NJ conditions. I've heard that 5 fins tend to break easier due to less foam surrounding the fin boxes, has anyone heard of this? Also, does anyone have a 5 fin that they reccomend for our standard NJ conditions? I've been looking at some Channel Islands cause I have two and they're great boards, but I'm certainly not opposed to any other brand. Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJsurfgrom1 View Post
    I've heard that 5 fins tend to break easier due to less foam surrounding the fin boxes, has anyone heard of this?
    i work in a shop & have (& had) many boards w/ the tri-quad option & have NEVER heard of this or experienced anything of the sort.
    as far as brands, the CI fred rubble is a great nj board. i know a lot of guys that are riding them & absolutely loving them in everything waist high to overhead. ...Lost's mini-driver would be another good choice. same basic idea as the fred rubble-short, stubby board that works in a wide range of conditions.
    i will also say that brian wynn made me a board recently that i've been riding pretty much exclusively this past month that's along the same lines as the aforementioned boards by CI & ...Lost w/ a round tail & tri-quad option, so you can go local as well (which is usually a great bet...i mean, the guy lives & surfs here all the time. he's gonna know what it's like here). when i get a free moment, i'll take some pics of it & post them here or in the quiver thread for you to check out.

@njsurfer42: Thanks, the fred rubble is actually the board I was looking at, it seem to be the board that is made for the widest variety of conditions. As far as local shapers go, I'd love to support a local shaper, I'm just not too familiar with who they are and who to go to. I recently bought a Bryan Wynn single fin but haven't gotten on it yet, so I am familiar with him. If you can post the pics here that would be great!

@koki: The reason I want the five fin is for the option,Thanks!

yeah, i figured that...I wasn't sure from your original post if you realized that. Cool, bro. Good luck, hope you find what your looking for.

Thanks man

Images
    I say get it made local. Your probably stuck on the marketing and idea of al merrick being the best. If you can get past that you will end up with a better board.

I just emailed Brian Wynn about getting it made, any other suggestions?

Talk to him about materials selection... EPS/PU/epoxy/PE.

Take your current board.

Be honest about your skills and goals.

There are a number of quad setups, each with a different feel. Ask about them.

Remember a quad/thruster convertible is a compromise, but a good all-arounder or "one board quiver" type board. You'll learn a lot from playing with different fin setups and combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Remember a quad/thruster convertible is a compromise, but a good all-arounder or "one board quiver" type board. You'll learn a lot from playing with different fin setups and combinations.
    there is a notion that you have to "split the difference" between the placement of the front fins on a quad or a thruster...i think the difference is that a straight quad's front fins are placed at 12" up from the tail & a thruster's are 11" (i could totally be wrong about the #'s), but when i was talking w/ brian wynn about ordering up my first tri-quad board, he said that it's not something to worry about & that it's not a big deal. i currently have 3 boards that are tri-quad set ups & while quads tend to take more fine-tuning of the fin combo, they're all set up as quads at the moment. 2 of them i've never even ridden as thrusters yet...they're so fun as quads i see no reason to mess w/ it.
    the wynn i mentioned earlier is going to be my honeymoon quiver next summer...just 1 6'3" for 10 days in costa rica. it'll handle anything i'm likely to come across down there, outside of the odd DOH+ day.

Why do you say they are a compromise? Thats why I want a 5 fin, learn how I surf on different fin clusters