Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    interesting. just heard a story about homesteading and the homestead act last weekend. some believe it is responsible for creating the american character and the rural middle class. come on up to alaska archy. plenty of cheap land and good surf. it is starting to get dark though...
    link to story:

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/16/161228...nto-u-s-fabric

If 30% (this is a wild guess) of the population moved from urban living to homesteading, we would probably run out of land and the population would have to decrease drastically. There are over 300 million people in this country and the vast majority (80%) live in or near a metropolitan area. The only reason that we are able to sustain and grow this population is because we don't all live on farms any more. Additionally, the increase in productivity in farming has allowed us to feed this population.

Do we need to find sustainable ways to live? Sure, but to go back to being a nation of farmers and homesteaders would necessitate a huge drop in the population of this country. So, is it worth it if, say, 100 million people (again, a wild guess) have to die to support your dream of a nation of homesteaders?

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    So, is it worth it if, say, 100 million people (again, a wild guess) have to die to support your dream of a nation of homesteaders?
    ask the native americans...

I'm down, all we need is good companym healthy food and some gnarly waves. Hell I'll live in a shake the rest if my life if it means riding waves and doing what I love everyday. Let the politicians and the Barney's worry about the gov't and how it's run. I just want to go surf.

^^healthy food and some gnarly waves. Hell I'll live in a shake the rest if my life^^
    Maybe you could live in a smoothie..

I thank all who contribute with open mindedness. 100 million probably will die when this system collapses. If alot of people have'nt noticed, water is becoming scarce. Why do you think companies like Coca Cola and Nestle are buying up most of the world's water rights. Residents of Maine have undergone water restrictions, but the Poland Spring's (Nestle) trucks leave on or ahead of schedule during those times. People have got to wake up. Many are too busy cheering on their favorite team while consuming corporate goods. 5% of the population-25% of the resources. It's that simple. If your not willing to, then how about this If you want to see gas go down in price: stop eating beef. It takes 25 gallons of gasoline and 2500 gallons of water for the production of 1 pound of beef. Your tax dollars pay for that through subsidies from the government. Also the increase of large scale farming requires tons of pesticides and herbacides. Resulting in soil degredation, polluted enviornments, and an increases of cancer. It is not sustainable. Where the 80% percent now live, used to be farm land. Here in Jersey where I live, we had farms right here at the beach. Now its filled with yuppies who commute to Manhattan every day. The whole monetary system and the life that revolves around it is why there are wars, famines, and polution. It will not last forever. And if any of you have children and care about their future you should take note.

We will all be dead by the time we run out of fossil fuels and water.
    There's nothing wrong with being conscious of our ecosystem, but your video subliminally puts into peoples minds that attacking and blowing sh!t up is the answer.
    And, indeed, it is not.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    I The whole monetary system and the life that revolves around it is why there are wars, famines, and polution. It will not last forever. And if any of you have children and care about their future you should take note.
    You don't really know a lot about history do you?. Wars, famine and pollution have existed (and likely will exist) as long as human beings do.

archy fwiw i agree with a lot of what you're saying and it's partly why i moved to alaska. if you truly believe what you're saying then just find a place where you can provide for your 'family' no matter what (by family i mean whoever you care about. and by no matter what i mean no matter WHAT). up here, 1 moose and 65 salmon is more than enough protein for my family of 4 for 1 winter. 10 acres of spruce covered land is enough wood to keep the stove going into the foreseeable future. my job (or the entire economy) might not last forever but my family won't be hungry or cold when the ****e hits the fan. and it will.

and the empty breaks will still be empty and the (recently dumped upon) chugach will still be collecting pow. yeeeeeeew!!!