LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kelly Slater the best sports figure ever.

Was just wondering if anyone has had the discussion comparing Kelly Slater to other great athletes. He has won 11 World Championships, 50 titles and is 40 yrs. old. Has he had any consistent rivals like a Magic vs. Bird?? I mean Mick and Andy seem to be the only surfers to win multiple world championships during the Kelly Era. However, what other athlete could dominate like Kelly. This was a work conversation and it seems to be fully on my mind after watching Kelly score a perfect 10 and a high 9 in the Quarter Finals of the Quicksilver Pro 2012. The one victory that has eluded him.

What other athletes can compete with this freak athlete?????

Jim Thorpe?

Oh, yeah. I forgot, Bruce Lee. It's not a sport per se, but the athleticism is on par with any competitive sport.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Oct 6, 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Jun Fan Gung Fu

Tony Hawk, Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan, every sport is different, but every sport has it's champions. They are all legendary figures in their respective sport

Tiger Woods was on his way until he crashed on Thanksgiving... He had the same type of career going until that point. Rivals would come and go, but he always stayed #1

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSlyB View Post
    Tony Hawk, Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan, every sport is different, but every sport has it's champions. They are all legendary figures in their respective sport

I respectfully choose to go against any claims that another athlete has ever had the sheer domination that Slater has had.He is hands down the best athlete to ever grace any sport-IMHO. Nobody compares. Yes, as ThatSlyB stated, those athletes did dominate their sports, but not at the level Slater has dominated surfing. He has so many different 'firsts', and I am not talking just about the act of winning a contest. Dominated at the youngest age, through how many years!? It's just silly even thinking about it. He is a freak. The way he looks at surfing and breaks it down is just insane. If you have not read Pipe Dreams, It is a good read as well.

Dude just gets better and learns anything and everything with increasing age. Like I said, my honest opinion....not knocking anyone else's by any means.....

Images
    I wouldn't say he is the best of all sports but you do have a good point. Good luck getting anyone other than surfers to listen to you though...

Images
    i agree he has achieved sports legend status...and comparatively speaking, i'd bet money that Slater can golf and shoot hoops way better than Jordan or Woods can surf.

the problem with this question is that you can only compare him to athletes that play non team sports...its easy to say names like jordan, jeter or montana but the fact is they play as a team so it is a completely different discussion. Tiger and Federer are two ppl that come to mind in individual sports. Tiger has dominated from a young age and although he has company at the top now he is still the greatest golfer playing right now. Federer hasnt had the longevity so he's not really in the same boat...in my opinion Kelly should be recongized as a top 10 athlete of all time but just hard for "non surfers" to understand his dominance

Ricky Carmichael!

chaz michael michaels.