LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fin Setup For A Sharpeye Disco

I have a Sharpeye Disco and I am curious what you think will be the best fins for it. I use this board for small to head high surf and mushy conditions. I currently have FCS M5 fins on it which is what came with the board, but i dont really like them. Thanks in advance

for me in those conditions i just use carbon fiber front fins and bamboo rear fins for release and flex in carving turns.

Images
    What don't you like about the M5? I like they have little rake which makes them turn in relatively short arc (I don't know how much "inner foil tech" really helps, but the hype is it also tightens arc)...tight turns lets you get the most bang for your buck in small waves. The M5 aren't nearly as drivey as fins with a bigger base, but the larger arc it takes to make a turn on, let's say, the AM-2 isn't worth it, imo.

personally, if not the M5, I'd love to try Kelly's fin, the K2.1. They're spec'd at super pivoty/tight arc turns and plenty of drive (despite the lack of IFT). Unfortunately, all versions of this fin set are pricey. Glass and green flex go for around $60 and the performance core go for around $100 (I'd probably get the PC because they're much lighter...and look cooler

Julian Wilson's sig model (JW-1) also looks promising - not quite as good as the K2.1, but better than the M5.

Finally, there's Jeremy Flores sig fin...interesting, but FCS failed to put the actual specs on their webpage.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Oct 7, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks ill check those out.

Images
    well, according to the FCS comparison chart, both the M5 and PG5 have the exact same dimensions. Only difference (other than material) is the PG5 lacks IFT (maybe why they rate it a longer turning arc). Anyway, imo, you'd be going backwards with the PG5....and paying more.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Oct 7, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks i did not realize that

Quote Originally Posted by wb surfer View Post
    Thanks i did not realize that
    OP, you might want to try a twin finner set up(MRTFX) if you are some mushier conditions. I have loved mine on wider tail boards. I have tried my buddies disco and have run both am2 (orange PC medium template) and the nexus mediums. Both worked really well. The nexus was better on the mushier stuff and the am2 is prolly better when the waves have more push. Then again the am2 fins are my standard go to fin in FCS.

Images
    I did like the drive on the AM fins, but the turning arc was, indeed, very wide...I just felt they'be be better on a larger, open faced wave. Of the 2 above, the Nexus look like a better choice...but they're also $130 a set (make the $60 K2.1 look like a good deal)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wb surfer View Post
    I have a Sharpeye Disco and I am curious what you think will be the best fins for it. I use this board for small to head high surf and mushy conditions. I currently have FCS M5 fins on it which is what came with the board, but i dont really like them. Thanks in advance
    Hello, I too ride the Sharpeye Disco in the majority of WB surf, and after a year of experimenting with fins for this board, I am finally starting to dial in what works for the disco and what doesn't. First lets see how 2 major aspects of fin design relate to how it rides:

Base: the larger the base, the more drive you get, especially off your bottom turn.
    Rake: radius of turn. The more raked out a fin is, the longer the turning circle is, and less-raked fins are more pivoty with a shorter radius.

I ride futures but since the WCT and the k2.1 are the exact same template, I can say I don't like he WCT in a small wave board, because it just doesn't like to engage the rail at lower speeds. It feels loose and slidey, but not flowy at all and, IMO, hard to connect through sections since it doesn't project down the line well. The WCT/k2.1 works best in a high performance shape in well-shaped chest-head high surf, when most of the surfing is done in the pocket and not pumping down the line trying to connect flat sections together. Also since the disco has a wide tail, a fin with more rake would help stabize the tail If you find yourself surfing fun, waist high shorepound or low-tide shallow shwackers, as well as keep your speed up which is essential in small waves. I have gone through am1 and finally YU templates and have found that the solid base, good amount of rake, combined with a thinner tip makes the disco loose AND drivey, depending on what part of the wave you're on. I surf with Tony Butler a lot and he rides the Julian Wilson fins in his Disco. And in terms of materials, it won't make too much of a difference, although honeycomb is slightly flexier and more lively in small stuff, but I prefer the slightly stiffer techflexes at the moment.
    Last edited by terra-firma intolerant; Oct 9, 2012 at 03:51 PM.