LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I also ride a disco and found the m-5 didn't ride well in this board. I tried the k2.1 and didn't like them either because I ride CB, a steeper wave, and they didn't have alot of hold and are really stiff. I'm also 5'10 170 and maybe the k2.1 were to small for me. Instead of going with the bigger k2.1 I tried my old G-5's, that are a plastic composite with medium size and good flex, to work surprisingly well. Then in larger surf I use a large PC-7 that worked great in chest high bigger. It just depends where you ride and how big you are. Good luck!

20 years in the water and can barely feel the difference when even dropping a tiny sized down fin into a tri-fin's rear slot....let alone the difference in rake and foil between a carbon fiber mb 69852-xyz to a bamboo reverse foiled tri hauled 67quantum82.......

Just sayin.......fin's are not going to make much if any difference, especially in mushy, non-responsive, slow surfing waves.

Thats is what I used to think. Not sure what you ride and how but if you want performance instead of just out for a cruise, proper equipment makes a huge difference with so many types of boards today.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    ...fin's are not going to make much if any difference, especially in mushy, non-responsive, slow surfing waves.
    true, to an extent. Really poor waves are gonna have you nose-riding, longboard style with no turns, no matter what board or fins you have.

However, on those days, if I do score the rare nugget that lets me get in a turn or two in, I prefer my board to be able to turn as quickly as possible. If I want, I can always draw out my turns on super pivoty fins, but super raked fins don't really give the option to turn on a dime.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:16 AM.

20 years in the water and can barely feel the difference when even dropping a tiny sized down fin into a tri-fin's rear slot....let alone the difference in rake and foil between a carbon fiber mb 69852-xyz to a bamboo reverse foiled tri hauled 67quantum82.......

Just sayin.......fin's are not going to make much if any difference, especially in mushy, non-responsive, slow surfing waves.

Fins can make a huge difference in those conditions…maybe it is that older mindset since everything used to be fixed but there is a lot of variety that can enhance or detract from a session. Its not the end all be all by any means, but it definitely has an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    true, to an extent. Really poor waves are gonna have you nose-riding, longboard style with no turns, no matter what board or fins you have.

However, on those days, if I do score the rare nugget that lets me get in a turn or two in, I prefer my board to be able to turn as quickly as possible. If I want, I can always draw out my turns on super pivoty fins, but super raked fins don't really give the option to turn on a dime.
    You said earlier that you have never tried the 2.1s and yet you speak about drawing out turns on super pivoty fins…which fins do you speak of that you have actually tried?

I also agree with the guy that didn't care for the 2.1s…I feel like they are way too loose and have made a bunch of boards that I have tried them on, twitchy. Its most likely me sucking but I can't get those things to flow well at all.

I also said (in the same post), I own the M5. I also rode the old G-3000 for several years (loved them)....and the Eric Arakawa (Future) for several years, which are basically the same as G-3000. All are in the upright/pivoty range. The difference in sweep between the K2.1 and the M5 is only 1 degree (G-3000 only half a degree).

Granted, rocker and tail shapes factor in, but, in my experience, rakey fins basically force me to turn wide, whereas upright fins suggest a tight turn, but give me the option.

maybe "twitchy" fins are for people who turn alot. If you just like flowing, more rake may be better for you...or just ride a longboard
    Last edited by waterbaby; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

After 30 years I can tell fins DO matter...big time. Don't think so ? Take 'em off

Waterbaby ,,, what do you weigh ? I've used the TC Redline in my squashed down shortboards like the Disco (blakbox ,Monsta ) for a few years now. Upright template Lot of base,, little rake ... get tons of drive out of these without feeling sluggish or "tracky" board feels very responsive. I go 6'1" 185 ish . Good luck !

6'1" and 175 lbs, here.

Just bought a set of PC-7 gonna try next week, but, yeah, those TC look rad...might have to buy a set of those, too Since my weight is in between sizes, deciding on either the red or aqua-line. Both appear to have about the same performance specs; red-line having slightly less sweep.

Kinda like the thought of IFT on the aqua-line. Don't know how much influence IFT really has on turning performance, but it's proven to give slightly less drag than flat sided (not so important in pushy surf, but could make a difference in weak waves).

Why didnt you buy your K2.1s? Ill be interested to hearing actual feedback from you after you ride them instead of consulting with your comparison chart...

It was already stated that the k2.1 didn't ride well in the Disco. Inless your referring to something else. Not sure what board is good for the k2.1. Maybe your typical shortboard, anyway, here in snc guess we don't get the push needed to take advantage of them.