LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark in NJ

Hybrid View

Images

Shark in NJ

Saw a 1-2 foot black fin way out there this morning (color and size obviously an estimate due to the distance). Seemed like it was a big shark. I dont know much about sharks, any clue what it could have been? I always knew they were there, but seeing one puts things into perspective

Where in jersey? A 2 foot black fin... The shark could have been very large..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Where in jersey? A 2 foot black fin... The shark could have been very large..
    Mo. Co.

Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    Saw a 1-2 foot black fin way out there this morning (color and size obviously an estimate due to the distance). Seemed like it was a big shark. I dont know much about sharks, any clue what it could have been? I always knew they were there, but seeing one puts things into perspective
    Carcharodon carcharias

Sure it wasn't a dolphin? I've seen them a lot andthe fins r near black in color.

Images
    definitely not a dolphin

Images
    definitely not a dolphin
    I take this comment back based on the vid below. Didn't know dolphins swam like this.. hey at least it gave our ankle high session some excitement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4s...e_gdata_player

If i was a Great White shark i wouldn't bite you. but i'd swim right next to you.

Well, that is a big fin. If it was a big shark as thought, you probably would have noticed the tail fin as well, especially if the fin was 1-2 feet out of the water!! If you saw the fin that high up and had a good look, but didn't see the tail fin, then it most likely was not a shark.

Quote Originally Posted by respecttheocean View Post
    Well, that is a big fin. If it was a big shark as thought, you probably would have noticed the tail fin as well, especially if the fin was 1-2 feet out of the water!! If you saw the fin that high up and had a good look, but didn't see the tail fin, then it most likely was not a shark.
    +1 Respect the tail fin. Respect.