LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark in NJ

Images

Shark in NJ

Saw a 1-2 foot black fin way out there this morning (color and size obviously an estimate due to the distance). Seemed like it was a big shark. I dont know much about sharks, any clue what it could have been? I always knew they were there, but seeing one puts things into perspective

Where in jersey? A 2 foot black fin... The shark could have been very large..

Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    Saw a 1-2 foot black fin way out there this morning (color and size obviously an estimate due to the distance). Seemed like it was a big shark. I dont know much about sharks, any clue what it could have been? I always knew they were there, but seeing one puts things into perspective
    Carcharodon carcharias

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Where in jersey? A 2 foot black fin... The shark could have been very large..
    Mo. Co.

Sure it wasn't a dolphin? I've seen them a lot andthe fins r near black in color.

Images
    definitely not a dolphin

If i was a Great White shark i wouldn't bite you. but i'd swim right next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    Well, that is a big fin. If it was a big shark as thought, you probably would have noticed the tail fin as well, especially if the fin was 1-2 feet out of the water!! If you saw the fin that high up and had a good look, but didn't see the tail fin, then it most likely was not a shark.

Images
    At this time of year, two years ago I saw a huge 10+ shark mosey right into the line up right after i got out. This was a big girthy mutha f*cka. One of the bigger ones I've seen for sure (ocean county). There are some bunker (menhaden) starting to run which triggers some action from bigger predators. No worries until your in a sharks mouth (slim chance).

Quote Originally Posted by respecttheocean View Post
    Well, that is a big fin. If it was a big shark as thought, you probably would have noticed the tail fin as well, especially if the fin was 1-2 feet out of the water!! If you saw the fin that high up and had a good look, but didn't see the tail fin, then it most likely was not a shark.
    +1 Respect the tail fin. Respect.