LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tips for va beach area

So my cousin recently moved down there (pilot) and invited me so im thinking about heading down maybe Christmas time or April vacation anyone down there interested in doing some surfing down there? I don't really know the area so any advice or company would be good. Asking early because I dont want to plan it blindly

yup ...keep on cruising in your car to Outer Banks if you can. VB sucks and is cold as balls December-February but I remember April as being one of my favorite times of the year. Those NEsters at Croatan and 1st street (or better yet OBX) for the clean up was nice. Surfable at Head high or so for days at a time.

Images
    uh if we are gonna have any waves, come during december. the last couple years we've had some fun christmas day swells. i wouldn't advise coming in april. the spring time usually SUCKS! and if you come at either time, bring a wetsuit and booties for sure.

Images
    i would bring a small wave board just incase. even if it is somewhat big, it is still pretty mushy so small wave boards are a must. i you prefer to longboard, thats even better. we have no secret spots here, they're all on surfline. 1st st will be the best wave but crowded, croatan is usually the 2nd best with random sandbars, and the north end is third. if you guys have time and dont mind a 1.5 hour drive down to nagshead, you could really score some good obx surf.

winter is the time to score in vb and obx. Bring the rubber it gets colder than you might think (sub 40). Drive 3 hours south it might be 60 degrees in the cove at frisco though.

Thanks guys. Hope I can see you out there. Board wise hopeing to bring a 6' fish that I will be shaping shortly for small mush and maybe a 6'4" if the surf calls for it

Images
    word. ive got a 5'10 hybrid fish and its perfect for around here. lots of volume, width, and drive are crucial

If this winter is anything like last you will need to bring a small wave board. I wouldnt even bother bringing a board unless you were styaing awhile and forecast looked decent. Last winter we got skunked, spring and summer too. Fall we have had one swell event, lasted a few days but for the most part Late 2011 and most of 2012 has been horrible in my opionion. Winter of 2010 got some waves, got real cold 38* water but at least we had swell.
    Anyway, there are no secrets in VB, people might have a little sandbar they like or whatever but we dont have hidden spots really. If Surfline has a surf report for it, then its a spot. Follw the directions to the Cams and enjoy. Good Luck to you sir!

Spring 2012 I remember had rideable waves almost every week, even got a session in before driving away to move.

My routine during my time there was during Summer I'll be at less crowded beaches in the south, but during fall/winter/spring when the crowd is about 25% of the summer crowd, I'm at the Oceanfront areas

Images
    shoulda came today. the waves were really fun. surfed 7 hours today and it got better through the day