LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't know if any of you have been to the Wavehouse in Mission Beach, CA, but they serve loads of alcohol, probably as much as let's say The Paddock on a summer night, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who was drinking ride the wave, nor do I think that they would allow it.

Images
    The only way for it to be profitable enough to stay open would be to serve alcohol, and have a food menu. A mirror image of the Wave House in mission beach would be the best way to go. As for the seasonality, If you make it indoors or have a roof that opens for the summer and closes for the winter you could draw in more people during the off season. Think about how many events the wavehouse hosts in San Diego, given they have a way larger population, but if you could start something like that here it would do good, especailly during the summer. The alcohol and the people using the flow rider would have to be completly seperate, almost like having a resturant that has a front view of the flowrider that would draw people into watch and spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by siestasurf View Post
    The only way for it to be profitable enough to stay open would be to serve alcohol, and have a food menu. A mirror image of the Wave House in mission beach would be the best way to go. As for the seasonality, If you make it indoors or have a roof that opens for the summer and closes for the winter you could draw in more people during the off season. Think about how many events the wavehouse hosts in San Diego, given they have a way larger population, but if you could start something like that here it would do good, especailly during the summer. The alcohol and the people using the flow rider would have to be completly seperate, almost like having a resturant that has a front view of the flowrider that would draw people into watch and spend money.
    Exactly, I'm happy to see that someone has finally grasped my vision for this. We're still looking at about a $5M investment, but I can't think of any better way to use the very little land that is left here in OC.

Images
    Why not make one up here in Jersey? ALOT OF TOURISTS IN SUMMER especially Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, and Belmar, and I bet that with the surfing/bodyboarding community up here that'll have enough $$$ to pay expenses through 5-6 months. Plus there's more land I'd think compared to OC (never been down there)?

Might want to talk to these guys if you can get the capital for and investment like this.

http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/su...wrider-122607/

It seems to me a little like batting cages, it would be cool to use it as practice for the real thing, but the novelty could definitely wear off after a while. Its a bit of a risky idea, ie. how much will it cost to maintain & possiblle liability but weighed against potential popularity and an utter lack of competition it may not be a bad idea. Venture capitalists would go for it, so what are you?

- Food for thought, micro-brewery in OC would do awesome! maybe combine the two and you're golden. the nearest brewery is in what Rehoboth? Dogfishhead does incredible business all year round. granted the crowd from rehoboth is mostly d.c., the oc crowd is more Bmore/Pennsylvania. There is most definitely a growing crowd that would be interested in locally brewed beers.

Images

Alternative

If you've got 5 mil to burn, why not put it into artificial reefs? Then the city could put meters on all 145+ streets and even institute mandatory beach ankle tags (pay as you go) like they do in Jersey? http://www.flowrider.com/ sounds attractive, but why would anyone want to pay for what should by its very nature be free? Moreover, once you introduce the "pay" factor, it's unlikely to ever be free again. And honestly, how much can you expect to reap from your 5m investment, and how long with that take to come to fruition?

Typhoon lagoon at Disney (a surge wave rather than a standing wave) runs somewhere around $63 per day (normal hours) and considerably higher for the early hours surf session (still restricted to before 10am) when you are allowed a certain wave count, and no more. And honestly speaking, the wave's not much to speak of either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out surfparks. apparently they are building one of these in NYC when they get the one in FL going.

http://www.surfparks.com/

I have to agree with a few others. I would love to see this happen,and so would alot of others. If you can make it indoors during the winter, it would be a significant boost towards making OC a year round place.

This is a good idea. The wavehouse in Japan only closed because they built it right across from the beach i thought. which would kind of happen here but when the swells don't come through it would be great. I would go with the idea of adding it on to Jolly Rogers or something.