LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marry a surfer?

Images

Marry a surfer?

Should you, or should you not, marry a surfer? Who's gona watch the kids when the surf is up? Who's gona pay the bills if you both get fired for calling in sick to go surfing? But then if they don't surf how will they understand your love for surfing and the need to surf every chance you get? It's a dilemma... my answer is, stay single then I don't have to worry about it

Images
    I have a few friends that have wives that surf and from what I can tell once the kids are born there is always a struggle over who gets to surf and when. There is also a tendency to shorten sessions so you don't get on he others bad side by staying too long. I have seen a few fights when the one that goes first gets the best wind or tide and the second one gets skunked by a dying swell or worsening conditions. Thankfully my wife doesn't surf and is just as happy shopping, baking, gardening etc so I can go when I want and can usually stay as long as I want.
    Last edited by Zippy; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

My wife surfs... not as much as she used to (too many deployments the last few years), mostly just LB'n the small stuff, these days rarely without me, and not obsessively like myself but enough where the most recent family vacays have been Indo and Australia among a host of others the last ten years. I'm still few to take trips with the fellas although I do kinda get the stink eye for that... whatever she did Puerto Rico and Hawaii twice without me... so I can always play that card. IDK. She gets it. I need to live by the beach. I need to surf. Never says I have too many boards (helps when you bring one home for her). My girlfriends in the past that didn't surf... never got it and never lasted long.

First, don't get married! Travel whenever and wherever you want. If you must get married, marry a "surfer," a female who understands that surfing is "number one," ranked above most other things in life.

There is no better feeling then sharing the best times of your life with your best surf buddy, your best friend, your wife.

P.S. Don't ever tell her surfing is #1 and she is #2.

Im not married, but I like it when my girlfriend stays on the beach. If she paddles out 90 guys come out of no where to check out her ass, which is distracting lol

Images
    Yeah we're all surfers and stuff and you can keep that up when you get married too. Have a kid and its a different story. We're celebrating the 1 year birthday tomorrow. I'm gonna get out in the morning for a bit.

It's true things change when you have a kid but you need to change with them otherwise you're not doing it right. My wife surfs but she hasn't been out much in the past couple months.

Whenever I'm surfing and I see a young kid out there I try to find his parent and ask how old they are. Always turns out they're like 13 or so... I guess I don't know how old kids look anymore. I'm good with toddlers though now.

How young is too young to get them on the board? I'm gonna be pushing my son into waves next summer.

Kinda got off track there, are you gonna get hitched soon? A bit of advice, understand what you like to do and what she likes to do and make sure each of you have time to do it. If you're worried about your............ Wait a second...

From your profile "I do some wood working. Next project is a surfboard. I have 3 young grommets. When I'm not surfing I ride motorcycles or snowboard"

I guess you don't need any advice from me.

Images
    Haha! I got my own surf team but never been married. I narrowly escaped with my life. I have a feeling that if I had pulled the trigger I would be fat and lazy staring at the wall getting yelled at all day every day. Maybe I just had a bad experience, or 2. Maybe the key is to find a chick that shares my passion instead of wanting me to come home and sit in front of the boob tube with her. My groms are 5, 7, and 9. The older 2 started catching waves like 2 years ago. As long as they can swimm I say push em in, and if they cant swimm, put a life vest on em.

Images
    great advice from all btw

what is surfing? (...7 month old.)

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    what is surfing? (...7 month old.)
    My kid is about 7 months old as well.For me its all about making deals with my wife.If I surf after work and she takes care of him that evening I'll do diaper duty and bottle feeding that whole night.So far this year I haven't missed a beat.Its all about the compromising.Not easy but works.