LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    my question is did the guy you "almost" dropped in on try to make you aware of his presence by yelling to you so that you would hear him and back off? Or was the only clue that you might be dropping in on someone was that you saw him in the conrner of your eye?

My feeling is if the guy on the wave doesn't make an effort to make the person further down the line aware, then one might get dropped in on.

even though you backed out of the wave, you probably broke the face and he bailed on the ride.
    (if you dropped in on my kid I'd be waiting for you at the shoreline.... lol... just kidding.)

as far as someone just paddling straight out and outside and taking the first wave that comes through cutting the line up order.... I don't know, I've never seen anyone get into it over that. I mean, once he's off on that wave, there most likely is going to be another wave or two in the set...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shablagoo View Post
    -how do you handle wave hogs? (I kept an eye on him for a little bit more of the session and he kept going for almost everything that looked remotely catchable (he def wasn't a kook tho), while everyone else was waiting their turn)
    yup- sounds like a wave hog!

When a group of guys are surfing a spot, the pecking order tends to work itself out... everybody seems to "seek their own level," with the most experienced and fit guys getting the most/best waves. Good or bad, that's the way it works out 95% of the time. I think most guys who aren't as good tend to respect the experience and skill of the better guys, and tend to sit off to the shoulder, picking up the ones that swing wide or break a little further inside than the biggest set waves. But some guys, regardless of their skill level, will assert themselves into the lineup, and that's when things get vibey... when the natural order of things is changed by someone who (1) doesn't recognize that there is a "natural order," or (2) knowingly challenges it.

Personally, I don't see why this natural order can't be maintained, and at the same time, even the best still surf with some degree of courtesy. I guess that's my definition of Wave Hog - people who surf like they're the only ones in the water. Get your set waves... rip them up... and let a few go by before you get back out into the takeoff zone and do it again.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

if you can keep up, paddle next to him and hold your position. it all comes down to positioning and paddle strength. no need to be aggressive, just be assertive and stand your ground. once someone realizes that you wont be beat in a paddle battle, they'll give you more space

like you said its just your side of the story but doesn't sound too bad. Not something that should jam up the other guys surf session to much. you didn't drop in on the guy really and saying sorry was was the right thing to do.

a wave hog to me is someone who cannot let a wave go. He doesn't paddle out to sit around watching other people surf. he is there to get his and doesn't give a hoot about others around him. He has something to prove. if he is not on a wave he is paddling back out or paddling for a wave. He shakes up the line up. Some people will sit deeper take off later and sometimes surf better because if they don't they will sit. A wave hog looks at a surf session as a competition. not always a bad thing.
    everyone in there life as a surfer is a wave hog at some point. We are all there to get some waves right? some never stop being one. some grow out of it.

I personally don't know when the "Wait your turn " policy was enacted ??? If I'm at home guys that recognize each other will tend to " share" ... A guy that's been surfing a year ? I'm taking it , sorry. That said, I don't think you did anything wrong.
    -Best of luck

Images
    Evening by pulling out you still "snowballed" him, probably just as bad as dropping in...maybe worse since no one gets the wave.

Here's how these guys handle it... the first 2:20 talks about order in the lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfB99...eature=related

That works THERE ... no locals, few surfers, a well-defined take-off zone ,and surf guides. That won't work at junky,crowded mixed up east coast beachies . Try yelling "my turn ! " next session ...I don't think it'll fly

Where do I get my ticket to ride?