LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kelly is right on with the Knubster

Picked up the Knubster for my Rich Price and let me tell you, that thing is freakin awesome. It really does what it says as I had a great chance to put it to the test yesterday through 2 tides, barreling beach break head + and screaming. It really does increase drive without the drag of a tri, although when I look at my fin set up, I'm like holy crap there is a lot of **** there. I have to say that I think its the best of both worlds. With the Knubster the board didnt get too loose off the top like a quad sometimes will and it takes the drift out of the board, the 2 worst traits of a quad in my opinion. I think I might also grovel with just the front fins in and the Knubster, the possibilities are multiplied with this thing. I was given it as a gift from a shaper friend and if you own a 5 box set up, get one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I feel you 100% my man, I got the nub to be a trailer on my 7S superfish and its the perfect fix. My board isnt squirrely like it was as a twin and not as stiff as a traditional thruster. Its the perfect medium. Not to mention its a cheap little fin. Go KELLY!

I see it was Developed by Sean Mattison for Von Sol surfboards but since Kelly won the NY contest with it, it's been making a bit of a stir and I see why. It fixes a problem.

Images
    no doubt, this just became one of those essentials in my car...wax, comb, leash, knub

Had a chance to talk to Sean Mattison at the Board Room surfboard expo. Super cool dude. He had a booth up there and was selling nubsters for 20$ a pop. Dude evangelizes about ‘em like the second coming. Don’t have a five fin right setup right now and am in the act of shaping my first quad (I learned to surf in the 80’s), but I’m definitely leaning that way. Just laid down the glass for the fins this weekend, maybe if there’s enough left over after cutting out the first 4 I’ll cut a nub out too. The whole Von Sol line of boards was really impressive and was probably the nicest of all of the production lines at the show. Every time I see someone surfing one, I’m blown away. I ask guys who have ‘em how they like them and I’ve never heard anything negative. Super sharp, beautiful, versatile boards; with great rails, rockers and concaves for San Diego surf. I’ve seen then same guys out with Shadows in mush and in OH, so they must work. Ain’t it funny how you recognize people by their boards, but you wouldn’t know ‘em from Cain on the beach?

Get Lokbox fins for your next quad. They allow for 1/2" of adjustment fore and aft. If your quad fins are placed properly you don't need the nubster. The catch is that placement is very specific to the individual and their style. So with Lokbox you can adjust your fins to suit you rather than relying entirely on your shapers generic placement. If you don't go with an adjustable fin system the nubster can make the correction for you.

Quote Originally Posted by foamdust View Post
    Get Lokbox fins for your next quad. They allow for 1/2" of adjustment fore and aft. If your quad fins are placed properly you don't need the nubster. The catch is that placement is very specific to the individual and their style. So with Lokbox you can adjust your fins to suit you rather than relying entirely on your shapers generic placement. If you don't go with an adjustable fin system the nubster can make the correction for you.
    150$/190$ for the jig is a little steep for the backyard shaper. Nice boxes, but every how-to on Swaylock's is jig oriented. Until, someone has a write-up for the hobbyist, I don't see using these anytime soon. How are you doing your installs Foamdust?

Images
    you guys sold me - went straight to Amazon and bought one for $15.20. i see they went up a little since this morning...

Cool Hanna, let us know if you think it makes that big of a difference to you. I have been reading the FireWire forum on the knubster and its interesting to see all the options and takes on it. Oh and I don't make that extra .50 cents, not a paid endorser, but wish I was

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    150$/190$ for the jig is a little steep for the backyard shaper. Nice boxes, but every how-to on Swaylock's is jig oriented. Until, someone has a write-up for the hobbyist, I don't see using these anytime soon. How are you doing your installs Foamdust?
    If you have a steady hand you can do a Loxbox quad install without the jig. Doesnt really work for a thruster center fin due to the stringer. Mark your fin placement on the board then shift the placement 1/8 inch towards he rails. Drill a hole through the shapers dots on the fin box. Turn the box upside down and align the box dots with your shifted marks on the board. Make sure the screws are toward the stringer. Press the box down into the foam until the resin dam leaves a dent and trace the outer flange. Trace the dent in the foam from the resin damn. Set your router to the depth of the fin tab cavity. Route that following the line you traced for the resin dam. Then set your router to the depth of the flange and route that following the line you traced. I did a few that way to test out he system before I bought the jig.