LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    "2) You live in Ocean City Maryland, so the majority of the surfing world (California, Hawaii, OZ, Ect) think your a wannabe. The waves in Ocean City suck and the lineup are empty compared to any real wave in the world. You sound ridiculous calling people wannabes. "

Ha, love it!

Images
    looks corny but what hollywood surf movie isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ECkneelo View Post
    I'm going to reply with some real world info. Who cares if people descend on Mavericks, chances are you not out there to enjoy it. People don't like what this movie may do to the lineup. Best way to combat that is not to see the movie and not to buy any surf related products that are advertised. The bigger the industry, the more crowded your lineup will be.
    Some people are bashing east coast surfers, well I surfed the east coast for five years, it's got good waves, just not as often as California, where I live now. ( I grew up in Cali.) I tell people out here that OC, MD 48th street is like Seal Beach out here. Very steep drops, if you can make the drop in OC, you can surf Hawaii at the same size. Hatteras is good, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as gnarly. Manasquan, NJ can get very gnarly or mushy. Rockaway Beach in NYC is pretty much like Huntington Beach, CA. Same length of ride, same quality. Been to many other east coast spots. Lots of great surf, just not as often.
    I do miss the empty winter waves, I liked wearing my Psycho II 6-4mm. Five guys or less out at six foot 48th St. in the winter is epic!
    The winter of ’06, that was epic West Coast surfing.

What's comparable on the East Coast to the Tijuana River Slough, Sunset Cliffs, PB Point, WindnSea, Blacks, the Del Mar reefs, Swami's & the Del Mar Jetty (only accessible via Camp Pendleton)? Those are just the San Diego County stand out spots; can’t be more than 60-100 miles of coast and a tiny sliver of what’s out here. The so-so spots, which are great too, are legion. Places like Tourmaline, Bird Rock, Pipes, Ponto, Tamarack and Oceanside. There are 5 piers in the county too. Where’s there a place on the East Coast like Trestles, Dana Point, Rincon; like Scorpion Bay, there’s no Puerto Escondido that I know of? I’ve never heard of anyplace like Todos los Santos. I hear they tow-in at some place called Belmar though. Where’s there a Wedge, a Half-Moon Bay, a Mavericks (had to tie it back to the original thread somehow)? There’s a lot of really good surfers from the East Coast, but as far as really good surf spots, I can’t think of any that are World Class Contenders as opposed to out here, where they are all over the place. OBX? Montauk? Belmar? Are they in the same class? I honestly don’t know. I know there’s nothin’ on the Gulf that compares.

I’ve always thought that’s why there are so many really good surfers FROM the East Coast or for that matter the Gulf, it’s why we went down to Ticla all the time. Once you’re bored stiff with the waves where-ever you are, if you want good surf, you have to go somewhere else. People from the Gulf and EC take surf vacations out here for a reason. When you want to go on a surf trip (i.e. find better, typically warmer and bigger, surf) and you live on the West Coast, you’re forced to go a little farther afield. SoCal is the easiest option for most mainlanders, compared to say Hawaii, the PR, CR, Indo, Nica, Australia, etc.; just because of travel time, jobs, infrastructure, visas and what not. Every place has that one day that sticks in people’s minds as “the best surf ever”. I’ve surfed OH hurricane swell at the end of Packery Channel in CC, TX; but that only happens once every 10 years, you can’t call it a great spot just cause it breaks that way once a decade. Every other time is sh!1_e. 6-12’ swells are fairly common out here, sometimes. Please send some this way, pretty please with sugar on top.

“Very steep drops, if you can make the drop in OC, you can surf Hawaii at the same size.” This is true, but 6’ Hawaii is a lot bigger than 6’ Cali, call it (Cali + (Cali/2) or maybe Cali2 as big. I have no idea how or why; one would think that 12” is the same everywhere, but it’s not. That’s an inverse ratio too, seems to get bigger the farther you are from 21 ° N, 158° W. How big is 6’ OCMD compared to 6’ Hawaii really, ‘cause I don’t think they’re using the same rulers? OCMD2, maybe OCMD² as big?

Just to reiterate, I’m not bashing the EC Surf or EC surfers or any of that, y’all get enough of that from MFitz73, gotta wear football pads to surf Rockaway. California has a lot of cr@p days and cr@ppy beaches too. I’m really, genuinely curious and purely trying to formant conversation, what’s an East Coast spot that can stand up in comparison to any of the stand out spots, big wave or small, on the West Coast on a consistent basis?

Images
    west coast is very geologically active, which is why there are so many world class breaks compared to the east coast

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

What's comparable on the East Coast to the Tijuana River Slough, Sunset Cliffs, PB Point, WindnSea, Blacks, the Del Mar reefs, Swami's & the Del Mar Jetty (only accessible via Camp Pendleton)? Those are just the San Diego County stand out spots; can’t be more than 60-100 miles of coast and a tiny sliver of what’s out here. The so-so spots, which are great too, are legion. Places like Tourmaline, Bird Rock, Pipes, Ponto, Tamarack and Oceanside. There are 5 piers in the county too. Where’s there a place on the East Coast like Trestles, Dana Point, Rincon; like Scorpion Bay, there’s no Puerto Escondido that I know of? I’ve never heard of anyplace like Todos los Santos. I hear they tow-in at some place called Belmar though. Where’s there a Wedge, a Half-Moon Bay, a Mavericks (had to tie it back to the original thread somehow)? There’s a lot of really good surfers from the East Coast, but as far as really good surf spots, I can’t think of any that are World Class Contenders as opposed to out here, where they are all over the place. OBX? Montauk? Belmar? Are they in the same class? I honestly don’t know. I know there’s nothin’ on the Gulf that compares.

I’ve always thought that’s why there are so many really good surfers FROM the East Coast or for that matter the Gulf, it’s why we went down to Ticla all the time. Once you’re bored stiff with the waves where-ever you are, if you want good surf, you have to go somewhere else. People from the Gulf and EC take surf vacations out here for a reason. When you want to go on a surf trip (i.e. find better, typically warmer and bigger, surf) and you live on the West Coast, you’re forced to go a little farther afield. SoCal is the easiest option for most mainlanders, compared to say Hawaii, the PR, CR, Indo, Nica, Australia, etc.; just because of travel time, jobs, infrastructure, visas and what not. Every place has that one day that sticks in people’s minds as “the best surf ever”. I’ve surfed OH hurricane swell at the end of Packery Channel in CC, TX; but that only happens once every 10 years, you can’t call it a great spot just cause it breaks that way once a decade. Every other time is sh!1_e. 6-12’ swells are fairly common out here, sometimes. Please send some this way, pretty please with sugar on top.

“Very steep drops, if you can make the drop in OC, you can surf Hawaii at the same size.” This is true, but 6’ Hawaii is a lot bigger than 6’ Cali, call it (Cali + (Cali/2) or maybe Cali2 as big. I have no idea how or why; one would think that 12” is the same everywhere, but it’s not. That’s an inverse ratio too, seems to get bigger the farther you are from 21 ° N, 158° W. How big is 6’ OCMD compared to 6’ Hawaii really, ‘cause I don’t think they’re using the same rulers? OCMD2, maybe OCMD² as big?

Just to reiterate, I’m not bashing the EC Surf or EC surfers or any of that, y’all get enough of that from MFitz73, gotta wear football pads to surf Rockaway. California has a lot of cr@p days and cr@ppy beaches too. I’m really, genuinely curious and purely trying to formant conversation, what’s an East Coast spot that can stand up in comparison to any of the stand out spots, big wave or small, on the West Coast on a consistent basis?
    Packery was over three times this summer

Images

California factor

It's our substantial continental shelf that hinders us the most on the Right Coast, that and the diminutive size of any possible fetch, but that doesn't seem to have hindered an East Coaster from dominating several World Championships. And for the record, 50 degree water temps are not cold by a LONG shot.

Just to reiterate, I’m not bashing the EC Surf or EC surfers or any of that, y’all get enough of that from MFitz73, gotta wear football pads to surf Rockaway.
    Yeah and don't you forget it! lol.

Images
    There’s a lot of really good surfers from the East Coast, but as far as really good surf spots, I can’t think of any that are World Class Contenders as opposed to out here, where they are all over the place. OBX? Montauk? Belmar? Are they in the same class? I honestly don’t know.
    HAHA you make me laugh bro!!! Belmar?!?!?! just a sandy beach break like anywhere else!

Anyways- not to get into this controversy - Im from dirty jersey and i believe hands down that there are way WAY better breaks around the world, including cali... and way more consistent! BUT to go as far as to say that your only a surfer IF you live in cali is just plain stupid (which was the original controversy a few pages ago on this thread).

BUT- I will say this- I have surfed many MANY world class breaks and as good as they where- there is nothing that compares to surfing my home break in the mid of winter when its pumping and Im only out with 2 of my closest friends sharing waves... i will take that over all the world class over crowded breaks any day!!! just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    I have surfed many MANY world class breaks and as good as they where- there is nothing that compares to surfing my home break in the mid of winter when its pumping and Im only out with 2 of my closest friends sharing waves... i will take that over all the world class over crowded breaks any day!!! just my opinion!
    Good vibes & good friends. The East Coast will take advantage of anything that comes our way. Definitely looking forward to the winter swells.

"what’s an East Coast spot that can stand up in comparison to any of the stand out spots, big wave or small, on the West Coast on a consistent basis?"

I can think of 3 under the right conditions.