LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASP is a Joke!

ASP is a Joke!

I know its been a few days since the Rip Curl Pro Portugal ended, and I wanted to see what went down in the finals, not knowing the controversy sourrounding it. I watched the highlights over and over and thought I was missing something. I kept thinking this can't be all the waves scored. To me, Gaby got robbed and should be upset and any pro or anyone who has anything to do with the ASP should be pissed. I know Brazilians are not well liked for some reason or another but this is a travisty. They stole this from a kid who deserved to win. Maybe Bobby Martinez was more right then we thought. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this matter. No wonder some kids don't want to do the tour if its bs and political!

i thought it could have went either way. it was pretty damn close. ill have to go back and watch it again. but i do agree, that they do have their "favorites" and i think some guys do get scored higher than others because of who they are. i think jon jon definitely gets the nudge, as well as quite a few others. kelly is the king of the nudge from the judges.

Images
    Welcome to any surf contest anywhere, east coast, west coast, gulf coast, ASP. Its all political and a total popularity contest. In real waves, places like Hawaii, Fiji, Chopes there is a clear winner and loser but if the waves drop below double overhead its just style/popularity, wave choice and dumb luck. In the judges defense it becomes much more difficult to determine a winner as the waves get smaller and smaller. IMO i think that Julian could have got the edge because the entire contest they were scoring barrels over turns but who knows. PS people hate brazilian surfers because they are pricks to surf around. Is not a mystery...
    Last edited by ecoastprock; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM.

http://surfinglife.com.au/news/asl-n...est-asp-crisis

Busy at the moment, but this is a good article I saw posted on Fantasy Surfer. I'll be back later to give my $.02

Images
    Yea they totally gave that one to JW. Medina had a highly technical wave and a pretty long barrel. I don't see how either of Julian's waves scored above Medina's. Oh well though, Medina is a far better surfer and his consistency speaks volumes. He'll be a champ before JW.

Humans gonna human. It happens whether we call them umps, referees, or judges. If you watch those waves on their own in a vacuum, it seems like Medina is the clear winner, but in the context of the event Wilson benefited from grabbing a last second wave (after Medina gave up priority) which probably bumped him up a solid point for the "drama" factor. Is it right? Probably not, but it's just sort of how things go in almost all sports.

Great point of view guys. I couldn't agree more with what you all said. I just wanted to make sure someone else agreed with what I saw.

For each contests the judges judge upon the spot that is being surfed. In the case Supertubos it is pretty obvious that barrels will be scored higher than airs or maneuvers. Sure, Medina did a crazy technical air that was awesome but he didnt hunt deep barrels like Julian did. Obviously on a comp screen things look different but you must realize that supertubos is a heavy wave. Julians barrels were much deeper and he managed to squeeze out of both his top two waves right through thick walls and on his buzzer beater he linked with a few nice turns as well. Gabe's barrels were smaller and not as deep. Although I think Julians last wave was overscored, I think it was definitely above a 7.6 which was what he needed to win. In the end I think the right man won. I don't really buy all the anti brasilian talk that goes on. I spent a lot of time in Brasil and know what the surfers are like. They are definitely assholes but they are a product of the super crowded beachbreaks they come from. They can be sore losers but so can other guys on tour its because they want to win BADLY. Brasilians are always out to prove themselves among the worlds elite hence the excessive claiming. I think Medina and Wilson will become a great rivalry in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybarrels View Post
    Although IThey can be sore losers but so can other guys on tour its because they want to win BADLY.
    Don't know if he actually did or not but it looked like Medina cried when Julians score dropped in some pictures I saw. I'd be pissed too about losing, but if you're 18 and finishing 2nd in ASP events I don't think you have much to get pissed about. Also, did Medina even stay up on the podium with Julian? Someone said he wouldn't stay up there with him and just left or something. I didn't catch the interviews and stuff after the final.

Images
    i actually also went to go check out what all the fuss was about, i usually try and watch every single contest i can online. I missed this one and didnt know how big a deal the problem was with the judges scoring julian higher than medina which helped claimed julian win. Medina definitely blew Julian away with his airs and barrels so he was clearly the winner. Julians claim was a joke compaired to medinas waves.

I have seen multiple occasions that the judges clearly play favorites, especially with kelly slater. Dont understand me wrong here. Kelly is the best, but in multiple situations he's been overscored simply before hes kelly. If the asp tour wants a good insight for their future they should definitely fix their judging criteria.