LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College

Images

College

Alright its time, I'm going to college and want to be able to surf while I'm there. I'm planning on going west, as far west as i can go. I don't have the best grades 82 AVG but i have good recommendations and a decent ACT score (29). what colleges are the best for surfing on the west coast? looking into california state schools.

UC Santa Barbara
    UC San Diego

UC Santa Cruz as well ... UC Irvine isn't in a bad spot either, although it's not right on the beach like the others.

any coastal UC school or cal state. Cal state isn't as competitive however

Images
    yeah I've been looking at those schools really looking into UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. anyone know how the CSU schools are?
    also i have heard that Santa Barbra gets waves but only when it sneaks between the islands, I'm looking for a place with constant waves

Images
    Santa Barbara community college, wont regret it.

yea uc irvine is 10-30 mins from anywhere in north orange county, and just over 30 mins to anywhere in south county, including trestles

I made that choice just this past year. Don't go to USCB. There is no surf there until you start getting NW swells in the winter. All summer, most of fall and spring it is dead flat there.

California State University Northridge
    California State University Channel Islands
    California State University Monterey Bay
    Point Loma Nazarene (private school san diego)
    San Diego State University
    University of California San Diego
    University of California Santa Cruz

all of these are right near the beaches all up the coastline from San Diego to Santa Cruz. seriously, skip santa barbara the surf is the least consistent of all of California's coastline because of the islands offshore (the channel islands) that block all south swell from getting to there. Best advice, go to San Diego or Santa Cruz. Both receive a decent amount of south swell but its all about the NW winter swells. both get big, double overhead and beyond big. (and san diego is really damn close to trestles which has 5 different waves including lower trestles)

Quote Originally Posted by gromsurfer123 View Post
    I made that choice just this past year. Don't go to USCB. There is no surf there until you start getting NW swells in the winter. *All summer, most of fall and spring it is dead flat there.*

California State University Northridge
    California State University Channel Islands
    California State University Monterey Bay
    Point Loma Nazarene (private school san diego)
    San Diego State University
    University of California San Diego
    University of California Santa Cruz

all of these are right near the beaches all up the coastline from San Diego to Santa Cruz. seriously, skip santa barbara the surf is the least consistent of all of California's coastline because of the islands offshore (the channel islands) that block all south swell from getting to there. Best advice, go to San Diego or Santa Cruz. Both receive a decent amount of south swell but its all about the NW winter swells. both get big, double overhead and beyond big. (and san diego is really damn close to trestles which has 5 different waves including lower trestles)
    These are all very good suggestions. I commend you for the fact that whatever you're going to major in, it has no bearing on your choice in higher education. I think this is very wise, no sarcasm intended. Most people change their majors anyway, right? You'll probably do better at school with access to good surf. I think it helped me. One less distraction. I spent some time in the early 90's going to ACC in Austin. I did pretty poorly 'cause I was driving home to Corpus every other weekend to get some water time. Or it was 'cause I partied too much, could've been either one. Did a lot better once I moved out here, got residencey and went to City/Mesa Colleges then SDSU, still partied. Made the Dean's list a couple of times, which was never really a priority, so you tell me. You've got your priorities straight man, don't let any body tell you otherwise.*

The only school in SDCo (USD too, but you said State) not on that list is Cal State University - San Marcos. Lot closer to the water than SDSU and the rents in OSide/Vista/SM 78 corridor are way cheaper than the I8 corridor, at least until you get to El Cajon. Lot easier to swing a pad on the beach on a student's budget. Traffic's lighter too, I think that the light-rail Sprinter goes right too CSUSM's doorstep too. I'd rather surf North County any day of the week and San Clemente is about 20 minutes away from Oside if you go 80-85. Which everyone does.*

I will say this about my alma mater, I didn't go there for their CompSci dept:
    Why SDSU?

Images
    im also lookin at schools that have decent surf in the area but all the majority of the lists for schools near surf are all west coast what are some east coast schools? 3.8 weighted gpa and 1700 sat score. looking at school for some sort of good finance programs or business administration type program